Port Forwarding doesn't work

pannedandcanned

I tried to make a Minecraft server between friends but when I set the port forwarding rules, it still wouldn't allow friends to join. My router is a Fios branded one. 

2 minutes ago, pannedandcanned said:

I tried to make a Minecraft server between friends but when I set the port forwarding rules, it still wouldn't allow friends to join. My router is a Fios branded one. 

One thought is if the server is running on Windows then there could be an issue with the Windows Firewall, so you need to port forward there as well. Make sure you give your friend your WAN IP not the LAN IP. Id also be sure that what ever machine the server is one either has a Static LAN IP OR at the very well it has a reserved IP, so that the IP address on the local machine doesnt change, as that could also mess up any port forwarding. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

5 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

One thought is if the server is running on Windows then there could be an issue with the Windows Firewall, so you need to port forward there as well. Make sure you give your friend your WAN IP not the LAN IP. Id also be sure that what ever machine the server is one either has a Static LAN IP OR at the very well it has a reserved IP, so that the IP address on the local machine doesnt change, as that could also mess up any port forwarding. 

I did port forward on windows firewall, I applied rules for both inbound and outbound for tcp. How would I set up a Static/reserved lan?

1 minute ago, pannedandcanned said:

I did port forward on windows firewall, I applied rules for both inbound and outbound for tcp. How would I set up a Static/reserved lan?

That depends on the router. In my router in the DHCP settings it just lets me add a reservation. Doing it manually you would add it in to the Network settings in Windows. The catch to doing it manually is it has to be outside the range of the DHCP server. 

For example I know back in the day, Linksys routers would start their DHCP servers at 192.168.1.100. Which means 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.99 would be out side of that range. You might even be able to adjust the start and ending values, but I dont have Verizon and Im not sure what the capability of their routers are. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.