Custom made Lightning cable

SimssmiS

Hey there,

looking into custom making a lightning to USB cable as the no-name ones as well as the one from apple often die on me and are super short. I need a lightning to female USB like the ones marketed as camera connectors. I use it to connect my phone to an IFI Hip-Dac. My problem is mostly finding a lightning connector that is not already on a cable and ideally has a nice cable clamp or some other form of tension release. The idea came from this. If it's a success I might go as far as putting something like a mini xlr in between to hot-swap between male and female USB, but that's a different story then. 

Any Idea where to find or what to search for to find a lightning connector to work with? (I'm in Germany if that helps)

thanks in advance

Why don't you just rip an old lightning cable and just connect all the wires.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

😅 would be an option... but not sure if that helps on the "often die on me". Also very long delivery times. But thanks for the link 🙂

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

Why don't you just rip an old lightning cable and just connect all the wires.

kinda also want the looks to be honest 😅

Yeah, AE is about the only place I could think of that would allow you to buy DIY connectors in small quantities.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 minute ago, SimssmiS said:

kinda also want the looks to be honest 😅

You can just rip the cable from the tip and solder it there.

You must've have some dead one lying around. Reuse recycle.

Ordering online for just 1 piece not worth the cost, especially the long delivery.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

2 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

You can just rip the cable from the tip and solder it there.

You must've have some dead one lying around. Reuse recycle.

Ordering online for just 1 piece not worth the cost, especially the long delivery.

how would you do tension release in that case? I imagine with just soldering cable to cable and putting heat shrink around that it would be quite fragile when pulling on the cable no?

6 minutes ago, SimssmiS said:

soldering cable to cable and putting heat shrink

This is the better solution, you can wrap it with braided sleve and lock it on each end to prevent over pulling.

Or just lock it down with zip tie before heat shrink. Won't look good tho.