A Quick Guide to a Quicker Startup

Helepolis

*This is a re-post as my original thread from when the forums first went public was lost in the conversion*

A Quick Guide to a Quicker Startup
9th January 2013, 01:36 PM

This is a quick guide that should apply to almost every system that should help shave at least a few seconds off when your computer turns on to getting into a usable state in windows. I'm Currently using my P67 Sabertooth's UFEI BIOS to show some settings but most motherboard I've worked with have a very similar way of organizing themselves looking past the graphical interface.

Step 1, Disable Onboard devices.

Menu: Advanced -> Onboard devices

In almost all systems I've worked with there are always some unused onboard device or sata controllers that add to your startup time by flashing their BIOS menu for a second or two during startup. You should consult your motherboard manual and determine which ones can be disabled. In my case I'm using the Intel headers so I'm free to disable the rest. Some components such as the Intel onboard NIC present in many newer motherboards will also flash it's own BIOS screen and can also be disabled assuming it's not in use.
IMG_0552.jpg

In the event that you are making use of the Intel NIC or have dedicated card not all is lost, you disable the BIOS post message from in from within windows. Update your driver associated with the card from Intel's site http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support?iid=hdr+support.

Next,

Computer->System Properties->Device manager

You should find your network card listed under Network adapters. Right click and go to properties. Under the boot options tab you can safely disable and set all values to 0.

network.png

Step 2, Boot priority.

Back in your Bios under the "Boot" menu you should be given a list of your potential boot devices, In my case I want to have my SSD with windows set to the first priority rather than my disk drive or storage array. So ensure whatever you are booting your OS off of is always listed as #1. I should note here that many BIOSs will have their own set of features that others wont such as memory scanners(disable), quick boot options(enable) and a few others. In my case I have a ROM message setting that has two states, force bios(loads disabled devices BIOS prompts) or Keep Current(Loads only the BIOS screen you have allowed).

IMG_0556.jpg

Step 3, Start up programs.

I could go on as to how much I dislike programs at startup as they can really bog down your boot time, especially if you do not have an SSD. So things like Live messanger, Skype, automated virus scans, steam, origin, weather apps, and whatever else you may have set to open upon log in only bog your startup, even if they only take a second to open manually. When you have a bunch of these programs that don't really need to be open at startup they can really start increase the time before your computer becomes functional. This also applies for automated services such as java updater, Nvidia auto update, disk defraggers etc etc. Windows update, anti virus auto updates as well but alter those at your own discretion.

This is more personal and will vary depending on your setup as to what you may want to disable.The best analogy i can give for this is that too many unnecessary programs at start up can be as bad as 10 people trying to go through a doorway at the same time.

If your feeling OCD, review your programs list and. If you're feeling even more OCD review and research your process list to ensure there are no processes running in the backround you were unaware of.

For a more details of this step a fellow forumer has made an excellent guide

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13216-how-to-speed-up-your-windows-7-beginner-friendly/

That's all folks!