PC randomly restarts

antonio_cast1
Go to solution Solved by MAXXPRO,

faulty ram module? it's possible

both faulty? I don't think so

just use a single ram module to test.

About a week ago, my monitors randomly went black and my system rebooted. No windows "shutting down" or "restarting." I figured it might've been a virus. I did multiple scans with avast and nothing came up.

It then started to happen repeatedly and scans kept coming up clean, so I do a reinstall of windows (the partial one that kept personal files). This works for about a day until the restarts come back. Then, mixed in with the monitors going black and automatic reboot, I would occasionally get some blue screens that rebooted too. I think the error codes had said something about "KERNEL" (I’m sorry for not remembering)

I thought it might've gone deeper in the system or something, so I do a full reinstall of windows. This was yesterday and I just now got another bluescreen, this time the code was "attempted write to readonly memory." Among the windows reinstalls I've reinstalled all drivers 3 times. 

Underclocking the RAM either didn’t work or only worked for a bit. My pc just shut off without a blue screen and without restarting. Trying to reboot multiple times I couldn’t  make it to POST and light on my mobo is stuck on CPU. Just tried to reboot again and got to POST in safe mode apparently. I was able to lower the RAM speed a little more and restarting worked for a good 30 seconds, then black screen with CPU light on mobo.

Restarting now only sometimes works. Either I get through POST just fine then reboot after a short while or I get stuck on either the CPU or DRAM light on the mobo I just don't know what else to do atm. Do I have a faulty mobo or RAM? Sorry if this is too long but I tried to answer any lingering questions. Thanks in advance 

Specs:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x

Asus PRIME B550-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard

G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory

Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (C:)

Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB SC ULTRA GAMING Video Card

Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Dump: https://ufile.io/f/q4pf3

25 minutes ago, MAXXPRO said:

Idk how I didn't think of this sooner. So far both sticks work in the first slot. I'll have to run these for a few days to see if this stays the case. I really hope its one of the modules and not the slot 😭 Thank you!

On 4/7/2021 at 10:28 PM, antonio_cast1 said:

Idk how I didn't think of this sooner. So far both sticks work in the first slot. I'll have to run these for a few days to see if this stays the case. I really hope its one of the modules and not the slot 😭 Thank you!

Tested with just one and it ran fine for a whole day. Swapped them, and it randomly rebooted again after a few minutes. The issue was in fact a faulty RAM module. Submitting an RMA to G.Skill