Brand new Sony STR-DN1080 makes horrendous noise at exactly 3 4 5 and 6 k frequency.

Mischievous

Hello! In January I started a thread here when I decided to enter the world of slightly better sound, and flowing the suggestions I received ((Thanks for your patience and time Exidor and circeseye), I made my orders and waited with bated  breath.

Last week They Arrived.

I invested in a;

Sony STR-DN1080

https://www.whathifi.com/sony/str-dn1080/review

A pair of;

Dali ZENSOR series 1 for my front channel

https://www.whathifi.com/dali/zensor-1/review

And I had my old 25 year old Sony SS-H991 speakers checked up by a technician and I am reusing them as my surround channel speakers.

I couldn't be happier. I hear things I never even knew were there.

There's just one problem, there's a constant high pitch noise present at all times. I took a photo of it 😛

145367408_nR-DN1080NoisePattern.thumb.JPG.23cbc2baf886a9e5217e772b33c8e656.JPG

It's just always there. From the moment I turned on the receiver, I could hear it from every speaker. and a week it's starting to become painfully(literally) clear that I can't learn to live with it. Luckily I'm an amateur sound designer so I had a means to take a sample of it, and I've uploaded it as an attached file to this post.

Looking at the spectrogram I can see the noise lines at 3 4 5 and 6k and it worries me that they are at such exact frequencies.

I've been looking online for solutions and I understand that hiss is normal even if unwanted, but I am 100% certain this high pitch noise shouldn't be here.

Here's what I've gathered;

The noise exists irregardless of what input I select with the exception that SAT/CAT-V option makes it more pronounced.

The noise exists irregardless of volume. Turning the volume to zero, using the mute function and turning the volume to 100 has no change in its volume or persistence.

I have attempted to plug only the receiver to its own outlet in the wall, and connected 1 speaker. I could still hear it.

I have had the receiver on for at least 100 hours now and it's not going away on its own.

It is not always there. It goes away on its own sometimes and I can't figure out why but returns seemingly at random.

I read online that it's possible for there to be RF noise in my power-grid and considering that my lights flicker when the stairwell lights turn on I am sure I have ample RF noise in my grid but could that be causing the reciever to play a constant noise at these exact frequencies?

Bottom line is, is my receiver just defected? I'd like to exhaust every option I have before I return it. Returning it will be a months long hassle again.

Edit:

One thing to note, I have tried to repeatedly reconnect the cables. But the receiver has these annoying spiny connectors that mangle the cable and separate loose strands and I am still not sure that's not the culprit, what would the best way to connect speaker cable be to insure I don't have a bad connection?

638621602_nR-DN1080Noise.wav