Cpu to Motherboard

SeaBriscut

My brother gave me his old computer to fix up (all i really needs is a new mother board and hardrive) the problem is that he doesn't remember what kind of processor he bought nor does he have the box for it. All I know is that it is an Intel Processor and its an older gen, maybe 2nd or 3rd. Can any of those still fit in a motherboard made for or that can fit 4th gen cpus  or is there really no difference in the between each generation other than performance?

The CPU must be determined, because every two generations specifies it's own chipsets and socket.

Can you read the model number on the CPU?

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Doesnt it say the cpu type and name on the cpu itself?

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

you will need to remove the heat sink and clean the cpu to read the laser'd writing on the chip.  with that info and a quick Google you will get the socket type.

Assuming the cpu is already in the board you could Google the board and get the socket from that and then buy the same board or one using the same socket.

remember to get some new thermal past while you are ordering a new motherboard  if you don't have any.

Intel Core 2nd and 3rd generation CPUs both use socket 1155, but Haswell (4th generation) uses socket 1150. They are not compatible and you would need to get a socket 1155 MB if it is 2nd or 3rd gen. You need to look on the CPU and find out exactly what the CPU is, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to get a 67/68 chipset MB if it is a 2nd generation CPU. I think that a Sandybridge CPU will work in a Z77 MB, but can someone please confirm this?

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

Awesome. Thanks guys I found out what kind of processor it was :D