watchdog violation

Hunlight

Hello,

I remember getting same error few years ago on my old rig and now once more. blue screen with error cord - watchdog violation. I remember checking logs last time but couldnt find anything specific if its hardware related or software. Please help to find out the reason. What do I check etc?

Source - Microsoft Support

One of the most common causes is an SSD drive that has old firmware not supported by Windows 10. Another likely cause is an outdated driver for one of your hardware components. For example, if your sound card driver does not support Windows 10, simply plugging in a set of headphones could produce a DPC Watchdog Violation error. 

Also, try this:

1. Check your cables. ...
  2. Use a dedicated tool. ...
  3. Replace the iastor. ...
  4. Check your disk. ...
  5. Update your drivers. ...
  6. Update your OS. ...
  7. Run a full system scan. ...
  8. Check software and hardware incompatibility issues. ...

Note that: Cables are a very overlooked part of computers and are often a critical cause for issues like this. From what i've learned, people tend to ignore this part alot.

hi, im renata bliss and am ur freestyle dance teacher

1 minute ago, 1ppOverheat said:

One of the most common causes is an SSD drive that has old firmware not supported by Windows 10. Another likely cause is an outdated driver for one of your hardware components. For example, if your sound card driver does not support Windows 10, simply plugging in a set of headphones could produce a DPC Watchdog Violation error. 

1. Check your cables. ...
  2. Use a dedicated tool. ...
  3. Replace the iastor. ...
  4. Check your disk. ...
  5. Update your drivers. ...
  6. Update your OS. ...
  7. Run a full system scan. ...
  8. Check software and hardware incompatibility issues. ...

2. dedicated tool??
3. iastor what is that first time hear smth like that 😄
4. disk is not new using it for around 2-3 years, but remember checking it before wasnt too bad conditional (not fresh tho)
5. how can u suggest to do it, someone suggest some soft other manualy etc, any tips to do it in 2021 ?
OS should be up to date
8. how to check that tho, just in device manager see if any errors there or smth?

1 minute ago, Hunlight said:

3. iastor what is that first time hear smth like that

Intel SATA Storage Device RAID Controller - basically a driver for your SATA drives (IaStor.sys)

3 minutes ago, Hunlight said:

disk is not new using it for around 2-3 years, but remember checking it before wasnt too bad conditional (not fresh tho)

Download this program https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/ and check your drives health status (It should just say "OK")

4 minutes ago, Hunlight said:

how can u suggest to do it, someone suggest some soft other manualy etc, any tips to do it in 2021 ?
OS should be up to date

I suggest downloading Driver Booster https://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php and let it do its thing. Then restart your computer.

7 minutes ago, Hunlight said:

8. how to check that tho, just in device manager see if any errors there or smth?

You could download one more program called BlueScreenView https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/bluescreenview/ . It'll show you all the information you need about the watchdog_violation BSOD.

Do you have any CPU OC?

What RAM speed? Is it above the officially supported speed by the CPU?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

5 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Do you have any CPU OC?

What RAM speed? Is it above the officially supported speed by the CPU?

cpu oc Im not sure if ryzen 3600 OC to 4750 all cores can be called OC, just did it to have them stable, worked fine for over a year so dont think thats the issue.

regarding rams, my rams doesnt work well with cpu cant even OC them to 3600 barely stable on 2933 and I think they work on 2133 as I wasnt able to even OC them to their "standard" 3600 as written on the sticker and ram description. 

19 minutes ago, 1ppOverheat said:

Intel SATA Storage Device RAID Controller - basically a driver for your SATA drives (IaStor.sys)

Download this program https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/ and check your drives health status (It should just say "OK")

I suggest downloading Driver Booster https://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php and let it do its thing. Then restart your computer.

You could download one more program called BlueScreenView https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/bluescreenview/ . It'll show you all the information you need about the watchdog_violation BSOD.

cristal disk says "good" and bios soft shows this:

image.thumb.png.92e29a4d2bb383fbf5ef2607567097be.png

will go try that iobit soft and see what it does.

2 minutes ago, Hunlight said:

cpu oc Im not sure if ryzen 3600 OC to 4750 all cores can be called OC, just did it to have them stable, worked fine for over a year so dont think thats the issue.

regarding rams, my rams doesnt work well with cpu cant even OC them to 3600 barely stable on 2933 and I think they work on 2133 as I wasnt able to even OC them to their "standard" 3600 as written on the sticker and ram description. 

Try reverting back to stock speed and see if it still happens

Just now, Moonzy said:

Try reverting back to stock speed and see if it still happens

it can happend next time in a few months so Idk if that is "proficient way" to check it. its not like it happend every day so I could check it that way

Just now, Hunlight said:

it can happend next time in a few months so Idk if that is "proficient way" to check it. its not like it happend every day so I could check it that way

Well that error normally means unstable CPU from my experience, and you do have an OC on your CPU so...

Just now, Moonzy said:

Well that error normally means unstable CPU from my experience, and you do have an OC on your CPU so...

if its really cpu, I really need to get rid of this peace of crap and get smth new, and sorry my bad I said 4750 was suposed to say 3750. its like lower than boost clock jsut doesnt go to below like 3600 etc.

8 minutes ago, Hunlight said:

if its really cpu, I really need to get rid of this peace of crap and get smth new, and sorry my bad I said 4750 was suposed to say 3750. its like lower than boost clock jsut doesnt go to below like 3600 etc.

What voltage is it running on?

You do know if it's crashing at stock speed without and OC on RAM, it's considered faulty and you can RMA it?

I think AMD CPU have a three year warranty, you can look into it

Could be bad motherboard as well

Just now, Moonzy said:

What voltage is it running on?

You do know if it's crashing at stock speed without and OC on RAM, it's considered faulty and you can RMA it?

I think AMD CPU have a three year warranty, you can look into it

1) have no idea did OC a year or more ago so cant remember now
2) I think after blue screen it autoamtically reset all OC as both ram and cpu are on stock now
3) any idea why my ram works on 2133 if on their sticker etc it says 3600 ? and I cant even make them work on 3600?
4) RMA? u think guaranty return or smth? its hard out here with it as usually if its not smth "it doesnt work at all" they will test it and give it back, and as Im getting blue screen etc no constantly but now and then they can just not get it xD

1 minute ago, Hunlight said:

2) I think after blue screen it autoamtically reset all OC as both ram and cpu are on stock now

Bsod doesn't reset the OC if it's done in bios

It doesn't do that, to my knowledge

1) have no idea did OC a year or more ago so cant remember now

You can always check...???

3) any idea why my ram works on 2133 if on their sticker etc it says 3600 ? and I cant even make them work on 3600?

Officially your CPU only supports up to 3200 MHz and anything above is an overclock, but since you adjusted other things I can't be too sure if it's anything else causing it

3 minutes ago, Hunlight said:

4) RMA? u think guaranty return or smth? its hard out here with it as usually if its not smth "it doesnt work at all" they will test it and give it back, and as Im getting blue screen etc no constantly but now and then they can just not get it xD

Deal with AMD directly, not with your local retailer, then

Also,

7 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Could be bad motherboard as well

In term of power delivery if you have a crappy board

37 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Bsod doesn't reset the OC if it's done in bios

It doesn't do that, to my knowledge

You can always check...???

Officially your CPU only supports up to 3200 MHz and anything above is an overclock, but since you adjusted other things I can't be too sure if it's anything else causing it

Deal with AMD directly, not with your local retailer, then

Also,

In term of power delivery if you have a crappy board

1) Idk jsut checked after your suggestion it is reset now xD
2) cant check as it is back to stock, but I followed bunch of YT examples and what people here suggested so probs some commons value
3) but I cant even run rams on 3200 its jsut crashes and restarts PC after I get out of BIOS. RAM works fine on other processor, tried on a friends Intel worked fine on 3200 and even 3600.
4) directly with amd? damn, shipping times if smth will take ages and cost half cpu price xD
5) board is not the worst, b450 aorus elite I think or smth from those, higher average board, not the best one (not too sure about name they got simialr names)

22 minutes ago, Hunlight said:

but I cant even run rams on 3200 its jsut crashes and restarts PC after I get out of BIOS. RAM works fine on other processor, tried on a friends Intel worked fine on 3200 and even 3600.

Try setting the SOC voltage on 1.12v or 1.13v (1.20v maximum)

What's the CPU btw?

Edit: SOC is basically the memory controller

1 hour ago, 1ppOverheat said:

What's the CPU btw?

SOC? will mby try it now, cpu is 5 3600 non X

2 hours ago, 1ppOverheat said:

What's the CPU btw?

so I tried setting SOC in BIOS but it wont allow me just goas back to Auto when I try to enter smth else, I used Ryzen master to set it to 1.125 and 3200 (in BIOS) windows launched, will see how it goes, cpu left on "auto"

Will play some games and see how it goes and especially performs. one game specifically needs ALL the extra fps I can get, barely runs in mid 70s if no OC (and its fps)