Power consumption

Hi guys!

I want to ask a question. I have 5 not that bad computers capable of folding/boic which run 10/24h. If I set up folding/boinc on them will I be able to pay for the bills? :D or by how much the cost will increase?

Thx :)

what the kilawatthour rating in your area and find out what the usage of your computers are under load {its simple to find out from there}

X79A GD65 (8D), 3820, 7770, 16GB (1600Mhz cas9), 850watt(ocz zx), storm trooper, h100, xonar xense, sp2500, pc350, asus PA248Q LG 22'' ips, razor black-widow ultimate 2013, 120GB intel 520 series 128GB crucial M4 2*3TB barracuda 2*1TB barracuda 2TB Hitachi 

it depends on your hardware. Only AMD cards can mine bitcoins fast enough to pay for your electricity.

And it really depends how much you have to pay for your kW/h here in Germany one kW/H costs 0,37 Dollar(USA) so i would never ever make any money.

In my area (czech rep.) its about 0,26 USD for kW/H.

I didn't want to start mining... just wanted to help folding or boinc.

The problem is that I don't have watmeter so I can't find out how much it costs right now :/

you would have to write down you pc parts. but if you would say every pc needs 200W it would cost you 180$ a month and thats somewhat insane :D

Well, at 0,26 USD for kW/h, running those 5 systems 24/7 could cost a lot. Please post systems specs including psu efficiency, than we can estimate how much it will be.

I have been wondering this as well, how much my computer uses maxed out.

I have:

Corsair TX 750W PSU
  Intel® Core i7-3770 ProcessorATX 12V V2.3, 80 Plus Bronze, Standard. 4x 6+2-pin
 MSI B75MA-P45, Socket-1155Socket-LGA1155, Quad Core, 3.4GHz, 8MB, 77W, HD400
 Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600MHz 16GBm-ATX, B75, DDR3, 1xG3-PCIe-x16, SATA 6Gb/s, USB 3
 Gainward GeForce GTX 670 2GB PhysX CUDAKit w/4X HyperX 4GB DDR3, CL9-9-9-27, 240pin
 Crucial m4 SSD 2.5" 128GBPCI-Express 3.0, GDDR5, DVI-D+DVI-I, native-HDMI SATA 6 Gb/s (SATA3.0), 500MB/175MB/s read/write

Sorry about the copy-paste of the parts :P

1. 80+ 500w i5-3570k

2. 80+ Bronze 750w  i5-3470S

3. 80+ Bronze 650w i5-750 + HD 4870

4. 350w Intel Quad-core (cant remember the model) + some older nVidia

5. 80+ 500w i5-2500 + some older nVidia :D

@Taipeek: Well, CPU isn't power hungry as GPU's, and you can still put out nice PPD (take a look on the spreadsheet topic). I'm folding with a i5 3450 and a 3570k, and the PPD is decent. The AMD GPU will get tanked without core17 wus, and depending on how old are those nVidia cards they could be not supported. If they are supported, just fold and see if the PPD is worth to leave it on.

With CPU only you'll be consuming around 120W per rig (I'm guessing), 150W from the wall at 80% efficiency. Times 5, 750W from the wall every hour. At 0,26 USD for the kW/h, it'll cost you ,195 USD/h. 24/7 it'll be 140 USD in one month.

@Talsyrius: Your rig will draw about 250~300W at full load, depending on GPU overclock. At 80% efficiency your rig will draw 310~375W from the wall.

Well i would have them working only max 10h a day... i think I will set up only the newest ones :)

Ya, the newer ones, with the highest efficiency PSU will give you the most bang for your buck. I am running about $100 a month for power... I expect that to go up a wee bit when I add in two more 4P servers, but all my systems use Gold efficiency PSU...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Ya, the newer ones, with the highest efficiency PSU will give you the most bang for your buck. I am running about $100 a month for power... I expect that to go up a wee bit when I add in two more 4P servers, but all my systems use Gold efficiency PSU...

And if I remember right, your kW/h cost is half of Taipeek's? Here the cost is ,17, so it's not that bad. In this days of no core17s, bitcoin mining easily pay my rig power cost  :).

And if I remember right, your kW/h cost is half of Taipeek's? Here the cost is ,17, so it's not that bad. In this days of no core17s, bitcoin mining easily pay my rig power cost  :).

$.063 - Off-peak (night time)

$.099 - Mid-peak (day time)

$.118 - On-Peak (evening / monring)

Last month I did 2500 kWh

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

$.063 - Off-peak (night time)

$.099 - Mid-peak (day time)

$.118 - On-Peak (evening / monring)

Last month I did 2500 kWh

That's great... now I may run a cable from Ontario all the way to my home  :ph34r:.

If Intel ever gets that wireless power thing going. :)

I will share mine with whomever can get an extension cord over here :D

huh... it seems Quebec doesn't run w/ Peak hours...

first 30 kWh/Day : $0.0541
after that :             $0.0778

So whaler would've spent like 180$ here

I will share mine with whomever can get an extension cord over here :D

challenge accepted  B)

challenge accepted  B)

For the length of cable you'll need, you might as well go after solar panels or wind turbines.  :P

Few people have mentioned installing Solar Panels. Right now energy stuff in Ontario is a crock. You have to have "certified" installers do it. And it costs like $50,000 for a decent setup. Now, ready for it??? You don't get any of the power. Any energy produced by a private citizen in Ontario have to be feed directly back into the grid, which you are paid for, then you just buy it back during normal usage...

They only way to do it is install everything yourself and power say a hot water heater and maybe a fridge. Otherwise it is vary dangerous trying to tie it into you main house feed as it is all DC.

Jee, I wonder why they aren't catching on?

Anyone who is serious about the power consumption of their rig should invest in one of these:

kill_a_watt.jpg

Only accurate way of knowing and they go on sale on Newegg all the time for about $18.

Ya, I am planning to pick one up for the "folding" closet.