Laptop Recommendations?

Price: £700 e.g., Shippable to UK

Usage: Gaming nothing high end, productivity e.g.,  Word processing, spreadsheet. 

Requirements: Long battery life while working e.g., Running VMs + several other productivity software. 8gb as you normally can't get 16gb within £700 Laptops. Needs to be fairly silent for a laptop if possible, and dedicated GPU is always nice, definitely if I want to play some games on it.

I just want to stay clear from Lenovo, I have had problems with them definitely with linux, as well as their bloatware, Lenovo Vantage what gives yo limited options.

If you need anything else just ask.

For around 500-600£ you can pretty easily get a laptop equipped with an i5 1135G7 and 8-16gb of ram. It has a pretty low power consumption, and has Xe graphics meaning it's capable of running most modern games with the right settings. If you believe the specs of the i5 meet your needs, then it's probably worth getting a laptop equipped with such cpu.

Here's the specs of the i5.

image.png.a396b356572d0c94c20b53e483de3158.png

image.png.4663151e230686dcb167f84d5d081101.png

11 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

For around 500-600£ you can pretty easily get a laptop equipped with an i5 1135G7 and 8-16gb of ram. It has a pretty low power consumption, and has Xe graphics meaning it's capable of running most modern games with the right settings. If you believe the specs of the i5 meet your needs, then it's probably worth getting a laptop equipped with such cpu.

image.png.a396b356572d0c94c20b53e483de3158.png

image.png.4663151e230686dcb167f84d5d081101.png

Thanks for the recommendation, I will keep a look!

30 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

18 minutes ago, Mr Penguin said:

Thanks for the recommendation, I will keep a look!

Some model of Ryzen 5 + a Radeon Vega 8 is pretty common in that price range as well and should also cope fine with modern games on light settings with reasonably similar performance.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

I agree on the i5-1135G7, although AMD have higher physical core counts, the 11th gen i7 and i5 chips are still very very good. Low power consumption, high boost clocks, pretty decent core counts, you can't really go wrong

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

3 minutes ago, AMD A10-9600P said:

I agree on the i5-1135G7, although AMD have higher physical core counts, the 11th gen i7 and i5 chips are still very very good. Low power consumption, high boost clocks, pretty decent core counts, you can't really go wrong

There's nothing wrong with Intel CPUs; I was just pointing out than the AMD side is still a perfectly reasonable option. Just gives the OP a wider choice, which can only be a positive thing if they want a good deal

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

14 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

There's nothing wrong with Intel CPUs; I was just pointing out than the AMD side is still a perfectly reasonable option. Just gives the OP a wider choice, which can only be a positive thing if they want a good deal

Yep, agreed. To be fair, around the price point that OP is looking, AMD may be a slightly better option, but Intel still isn't a bad deal (unless you're looking for an 11th gen desktop CPU...). I was recently shopping around myself and settled on Intel, but around the £700 mark AMD makes a lot of sense

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB