Odyssey G7 auto-disconnect on sleep

Convictions
Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,

The issue is that the monitor has implemented DisplayPort Deep Sleep feature.

Some monitor manufacturers offer the option to turn it off (meaning it won't use that deep sleep feature), other, sadly, don't.

As you mentioned/read, DP Deep Sleep means that the monitor goes in deeper sleep power state than the normal standby (save more power), which result in the monitor completely disconnecting from the system. The issue of this feature is that, as you noted, when you have a multiple monitor setup, your GPU thinks that the cable was disconnected and so tells Windows that the display has been lost, and so Windows moves all windows to the other screen.

Windows 11 corrects this problem by memorizing window placement when display configuration changes and comes back. This wasn't done for DP Deep Sleep, it's just an accidental coincidence it helps. It was made for laptops being docked with multiple screens, then undocked, and later docked back again restoring all window placements.

So, all I can say is ensure you have the latest firmware, and make sure all eco-mode garbage features are turned off (none of them make sense in a home setting in my opinion... in an office with thousands of the same monitors... sure, it all adds up. That said, it is true that a global level, it helps alleviate power consumption, which is important for areas who isn't powered by clean energy or have limited power availibility)

I've recently gotten a G7 (27 inch), and it's a really nice monitor. There's just one issue that's been perpetually bugging me. When the monitor goes to sleep after the time set in Windows settings expires, it goes through a disconnect/reconnect process when it wakes up, as if I had unplugged/replugged the Displayport cable. Aside from making the wakeup process slow (which I could live with), it causes all of my windows to be moved to another monitor -- super annoying. Doing some research online, I've found many people with similar issues, but no solutions yet. One culprit that's been pointed to is an apparent "feature" of DP that causes monitors to behave like this when sleeping. I don't think that's the issue, though, because I have another monitor (Dell S2716DG) also connected by Displayport that is not plagued by this issue. My third monitor, an old HP 2711x, is connected by HDMI, and it's this monitor that all my windows from the G7 end up on after sleep.

Troubleshooting steps I've tried:

• Swapping DP cables -- I've used both the cable that came with the monitor, and another cable with sufficient bandwidth I got off Amazon -- same result in both cases.
  • Setting monitor to DP v 1.2 and 1.4 -- same issue in both cases
  • Toggling eco-off and auto-off settings in monitor's OSD -- same issue in both whether the settings are on and off
  • Plugging the DP cable into both DP inputs on the monitor
  • Plugging the DP cable into both DP outputs on my GPU
  • Running the tool here: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/ to update my GPU firmware for DP 1.4
  • Making sure GPU drivers are up to date

My computer specs:

• CPU: 8700K
  • GPU: ROG Strix 1080Ti
  • RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws 
  • MOBO: Asrock z390 Taichi
  • PSU: Thermaltake 850W 

I'm thinking at this point that my only option is to wait for a firmware fix from Samsung, but if someone has a suggestion more optimistic than that, please let me know!

Update: I discovered this project which is designed to address the issue: https://github.com/kangyu-california/PersistentWindows.

This essentially works by snapshotting window locations and restoring them after all monitors re-connect. So it's a bit clunky in that my windows still all move to the wrong monitor, but then they automatically move back to their correct locations after a few seconds. This will work for now, but if anyone is aware of a proper solution, that'd still be appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...

I basically have the same build as you, and I've having this exact same issue. I haven't found any solutions yet.

I have the same monitor G7 27'. I'm not sure if you are refering to the same issue i used to have but you can try this: In your audio control panel, you wil find all your audio devices. Your LC27G&xT should be there too as it has a headphones out jack. Disable it, then check if your monitor sleep settings are working.

Let me know if it works!

Cheers

On 4/24/2021 at 7:32 AM, gw0rk said:

I have the same monitor G7 27'. I'm not sure if you are refering to the same issue i used to have but you can try this: In your audio control panel, you wil find all your audio devices. Your LC27G&xT should be there too as it has a headphones out jack. Disable it, then check if your monitor sleep settings are working.

Let me know if it works!

Cheers

Thanks for the suggestion. I've disabled both of my audio-capable monitors in the sound control panel, but the issue with disconnecting/reconnecting upon wake from sleep (and the associated moving around of windows that are open) still persists.

• 1 year later...

Did you find any solution? Just got a Odyssey G5 32" with the same problems... when going to sleep, all the stuff on my 2nd screen (24") move to the 1st screen (32") because the screen kinda "reboot" (disconnect/reconnect) when waking up.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2022 at 6:35 AM, nka said:

Did you find any solution? Just got a Odyssey G5 32" with the same problems... when going to sleep, all the stuff on my 2nd screen (24") move to the 1st screen (32") because the screen kinda "reboot" (disconnect/reconnect) when waking up.

Sadly, no.

EDIT: Unless you count setting the sleep timer in Windows for an hour so I don't have to deal with that problem most of the time...

Some manufacturer monitor set disconnected when sleep, so far all LG and Samsung monitor I have behave like this. 

The desktop arrangement run away issue is fixed by Microsoft in Windows 11 only. 

For Windows 10 this issue exist but you can easily fixed by using PowerToys - FancyZone.

Another way is deleted all hidden monitor at device manager. You need to click show hidden device. Later also delete all sub folder of Configuration registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration

Restart the PC and done. 

Remember backup the registry to prevent in case delete wrongly for restore back. 

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 OC 24G, X570 AORUS Elite WIFI Motherboard, HyperX FURY 32GB DDR4-3200 RGB RAM, Creative Sound Blaster AE-9 Sound Card, Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 SATA 500GB, ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro M.2 SATA 2TB, Asus HyperX Fury RGB SSD 960GB, Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 3.5 HDD 2TB, Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID ML240R ARGB, Cooler Master MASTERFAN MF120R ARGB, Cooler Master ELV8 Graphics Card Holder ARGB, Asus ROG Strix 1000G PSU, Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH RGB Case, Windows 11 Pro (22H2).

Laptop: Asus Vivobook "A Bathing Ape" - ASUS Vivobook S 15 OLED BAPE Edition: Intel i9-13900H, 16 GB RAM, 15.6" 2.8K 120hz OLED | Apple MacBook Pro 14" 2023: M2 Pro, 16 GB RAM, NVMe 512 GB | Asus VivoBook 15 OLED: Intel® Core™ i3-1125G4, Intel UHD, 8 GB RAM, Micron NVMe 512 GB | Illegear Z5 SKYLAKE: Intel Core i7-6700HQ, Nvidia Geforce GTX 970M, 16 GB RAM, ADATA SU800 M.2 SATA 512GB.

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey OLED G9 49" 5120x1440 240hz QD-OLED HDR, LG OLED Flex 42LX3QPSA 41.5" 3840x2160 bendable 120hz WOLED, AOC 24G2SP 24" 1920x1080 165hz SDR, LG UltraGear Gaming Monitor 34" 34GN850 3440x1440 144hz (160hz OC) NanoIPS HDR, LG Ultrawide Gaming Monitor 34" 34UC79G 2560x1080 144hz IPS SDR, LG 24MK600 24" 1920x1080 75hz Freesync IPS SDR, BenQ EW2440ZH 24" 1920x1080 75hz VA SDR.

Input Device: Asus ROG Azoth Wireless Mechanical KeyboardAsus ROG Chakram X Origin Wireless MouseLogitech G913 Lightspeed Wireless RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Logitech G502X Wireless Mouse, Logitech G903 Lightspeed HERO Wireless Gaming Mouse, Logitech Pro X, Logitech MX Keys, Logitech MX Master 3, XBOX Wireless Controller Covert Forces Edition, Corsair K70 RAPIDFIRE Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro SE Wireless Gaming Mouse, Logitech MK850 Wireless Keyboard & Mouse Combos.

Entertainment: LG 55" C9 OLED HDR Smart UHD TV with AI ThinQ®, 65" Samsung AU7000 4K UHD Smart TV, SONOS Beam (Gen 2) Dolby Atmos Soundbar, SONOS Sub Mini, SONOS Era 100 x2, SONOS Era 300 Dolby Atmos, Logitech G560 2.1 USB & Bluetooth Speaker, Logitech Z625 2.1 THX Speaker, Edifier M1370BT 2.1 Bluetooth Speaker, LG SK9Y 5.1.2 channel Dolby Atmos, Hi-Res Audio SoundBar, Sony MDR-Z1R, Bang & Olufsen Beoplay EX, Sony WF-1000XM5, Sony WH-1000XM5, Sony WH-1000XM4, Apple AirPods Pro, Samsung Galaxy Buds2, Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019 edition), Apple TV 4K (2017 & 2021 Edition), Chromecast with Google TV, Sony UBP-X700 UltraHD Blu-ray, Panasonic DMP-UB400 UltraHD Blu-ray.

Mobile & Smart Watch: Apple iPhone 15 Pro Max (Natural Titanium), Apple Watch Series 8 Stainless Steel with Milanese Loop (Graphite).

Others Gadgets: Asus SBW-06D2X-U Blu-ray RW Drive, 70 TB Ext. HDD, j5create JVCU100 USB HD Webcam with 360° rotation, ZTE UONU F620, Maxis Fibre WiFi 6 Router, Fantech MPR800 Soft Cloth RGB Gaming Mousepad, Fantech Headset Headphone Stand AC3001S RGB Lighting Base Tower, Infiniteracer RGB Gaming Chair

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/16/2022 at 7:26 PM, Andrewtst said:

Some manufacturer monitor set disconnected when sleep, so far all LG and Samsung monitor I have behave like this. 

The desktop arrangement run away issue is fixed by Microsoft in Windows 11 only. 

For Windows 10 this issue exist but you can easily fixed by using PowerToys - FancyZone.

Another way is deleted all hidden monitor at device manager. You need to click show hidden device. Later also delete all sub folder of Configuration registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration

Restart the PC and done. 

Remember backup the registry to prevent in case delete wrongly for restore back. 

I haven't tried win 11 yet. For win 10 -- does FancyZone prevent windows from re-arranging? I tried the device manager + registry suggestion. With that one, the windows on my two non-Samsung monitors remained where they were, but window from the Samsung monitor were moved to another screen when woken up from sleep.

1 hour ago, Convictions said:

I haven't tried win 11 yet. For win 10 -- does FancyZone prevent windows from re-arranging? I tried the device manager + registry suggestion. With that one, the windows on my two non-Samsung monitors remained where they were, but window from the Samsung monitor were moved to another screen when woken up from sleep.

PowerToys FancyZone also work under Windows 10. This PowerToys many features but you can select which you need to turn on only. 

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 OC 24G, X570 AORUS Elite WIFI Motherboard, HyperX FURY 32GB DDR4-3200 RGB RAM, Creative Sound Blaster AE-9 Sound Card, Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 SATA 500GB, ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro M.2 SATA 2TB, Asus HyperX Fury RGB SSD 960GB, Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 3.5 HDD 2TB, Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID ML240R ARGB, Cooler Master MASTERFAN MF120R ARGB, Cooler Master ELV8 Graphics Card Holder ARGB, Asus ROG Strix 1000G PSU, Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH RGB Case, Windows 11 Pro (22H2).

Laptop: Asus Vivobook "A Bathing Ape" - ASUS Vivobook S 15 OLED BAPE Edition: Intel i9-13900H, 16 GB RAM, 15.6" 2.8K 120hz OLED | Apple MacBook Pro 14" 2023: M2 Pro, 16 GB RAM, NVMe 512 GB | Asus VivoBook 15 OLED: Intel® Core™ i3-1125G4, Intel UHD, 8 GB RAM, Micron NVMe 512 GB | Illegear Z5 SKYLAKE: Intel Core i7-6700HQ, Nvidia Geforce GTX 970M, 16 GB RAM, ADATA SU800 M.2 SATA 512GB.

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey OLED G9 49" 5120x1440 240hz QD-OLED HDR, LG OLED Flex 42LX3QPSA 41.5" 3840x2160 bendable 120hz WOLED, AOC 24G2SP 24" 1920x1080 165hz SDR, LG UltraGear Gaming Monitor 34" 34GN850 3440x1440 144hz (160hz OC) NanoIPS HDR, LG Ultrawide Gaming Monitor 34" 34UC79G 2560x1080 144hz IPS SDR, LG 24MK600 24" 1920x1080 75hz Freesync IPS SDR, BenQ EW2440ZH 24" 1920x1080 75hz VA SDR.

Input Device: Asus ROG Azoth Wireless Mechanical KeyboardAsus ROG Chakram X Origin Wireless MouseLogitech G913 Lightspeed Wireless RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Logitech G502X Wireless Mouse, Logitech G903 Lightspeed HERO Wireless Gaming Mouse, Logitech Pro X, Logitech MX Keys, Logitech MX Master 3, XBOX Wireless Controller Covert Forces Edition, Corsair K70 RAPIDFIRE Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro SE Wireless Gaming Mouse, Logitech MK850 Wireless Keyboard & Mouse Combos.

Entertainment: LG 55" C9 OLED HDR Smart UHD TV with AI ThinQ®, 65" Samsung AU7000 4K UHD Smart TV, SONOS Beam (Gen 2) Dolby Atmos Soundbar, SONOS Sub Mini, SONOS Era 100 x2, SONOS Era 300 Dolby Atmos, Logitech G560 2.1 USB & Bluetooth Speaker, Logitech Z625 2.1 THX Speaker, Edifier M1370BT 2.1 Bluetooth Speaker, LG SK9Y 5.1.2 channel Dolby Atmos, Hi-Res Audio SoundBar, Sony MDR-Z1R, Bang & Olufsen Beoplay EX, Sony WF-1000XM5, Sony WH-1000XM5, Sony WH-1000XM4, Apple AirPods Pro, Samsung Galaxy Buds2, Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019 edition), Apple TV 4K (2017 & 2021 Edition), Chromecast with Google TV, Sony UBP-X700 UltraHD Blu-ray, Panasonic DMP-UB400 UltraHD Blu-ray.

Mobile & Smart Watch: Apple iPhone 15 Pro Max (Natural Titanium), Apple Watch Series 8 Stainless Steel with Milanese Loop (Graphite).

Others Gadgets: Asus SBW-06D2X-U Blu-ray RW Drive, 70 TB Ext. HDD, j5create JVCU100 USB HD Webcam with 360° rotation, ZTE UONU F620, Maxis Fibre WiFi 6 Router, Fantech MPR800 Soft Cloth RGB Gaming Mousepad, Fantech Headset Headphone Stand AC3001S RGB Lighting Base Tower, Infiniteracer RGB Gaming Chair

The issue is that the monitor has implemented DisplayPort Deep Sleep feature.

Some monitor manufacturers offer the option to turn it off (meaning it won't use that deep sleep feature), other, sadly, don't.

As you mentioned/read, DP Deep Sleep means that the monitor goes in deeper sleep power state than the normal standby (save more power), which result in the monitor completely disconnecting from the system. The issue of this feature is that, as you noted, when you have a multiple monitor setup, your GPU thinks that the cable was disconnected and so tells Windows that the display has been lost, and so Windows moves all windows to the other screen.

Windows 11 corrects this problem by memorizing window placement when display configuration changes and comes back. This wasn't done for DP Deep Sleep, it's just an accidental coincidence it helps. It was made for laptops being docked with multiple screens, then undocked, and later docked back again restoring all window placements.

So, all I can say is ensure you have the latest firmware, and make sure all eco-mode garbage features are turned off (none of them make sense in a home setting in my opinion... in an office with thousands of the same monitors... sure, it all adds up. That said, it is true that a global level, it helps alleviate power consumption, which is important for areas who isn't powered by clean energy or have limited power availibility)

Thanks. I suspected this may be the case. The Samsung monitor does have an option to disable deep sleep... it just unfortunately doesn't work.