GTX 770 sli...maybe??? or GTX 780/ ti or wait..

Massa9

I have some coin for this month and I am debating for another GTX 770. I currently have the PNY XLR8 2gb version. I have had a good experience with it but it could be better as I am a "shameless graphics fanatic" I want to be able to run any game maxed out and there is a few that I won that I have some FPS dips in ie: Metro Last light with SSAA on. So I another GTX 770 but I don't want to get another PNY one, maybe an Asus one since they make excellent Non Reference PCB and decent cooling. Or wait and get a GTX 780 ti. or R9 290x is the price ever goes down. I would only get a GTX 780 if I could justify getting my 770 last summer and not have used it for that long. So let me know if the GTX 770 sli configuration is a must have or has issues or any feedback on this.

OR you could wait for the 800 series.

Current rig: CPU: AMD FX-8120  Cooling: Corsair H100i  Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme 3  RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz  GPU: MSI GTX 660Ti Power Edition  Case: Fractal Design Define R4  Storage: 2TB Seagate HDD + 128GB Crucial SSD  PSU: be quiet! 730W bronze

I would wait for 800. Upgrades in the same gen is not worth it it unless you are going from a 750 to a 780/ti. 

My rigs

Spoiler

Desktop CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.4GHz cooled by a Corsair H105 | Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X79 | RAM: 32GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 SC3 Ultra Gaming | SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Crutial M500 240GB + Samsung 840 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM + WB Black 4TB 7200RPM | Case: Fractal Design Meshify C | Mouse: Logitech G402 & MX Master | Keyboard: Poker II  MX Blue & Leopold 10-key pad Box Royals | Monitor: LG 34UB88-P | Audio: Audio-Technica ATH-M50 + FiiO E5 DAC + Rode NT-USB Mini

Laptop Lenovo Yoga 720 4k Touch

I wouldn't suggest buying a 780 Ti. Not worth the money. 

I also wouldn't suggest getting two lower end cards and SLI'ing them. As we all know that it's better to get the best possible card(s) you can afford, before SLI'ing/Cross-firing two lower end cards. 

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

Wait. Why buy? when there something fresh is around the corner.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

It depends when you want it. If you can wait, you could wait like 4/6 months maybe less for the 800 series.

If you really can't wait, I suggest getting 2 770's if money is a thing and you also get more for your money. It you have to wait for the money because you want to get the 780 TI you could get them, OR again, wait for the 800 series.

wait for  800 series i had  SLI before  but i had alot of trouble in games  in newer games SLI support is most off the time not there

but if you want to buy an new card and you cant wait  sell your 770 and  buy an 780 TI  if you can wait wait for 800 series  :)

Thanks for the feedback everyone. have only used this forum a few times but the feedback has always been great. I have DX12 in the back and front of my head but that won't be available until next year. So right now Nvidia's Fermi architecture and up will be able to support it but I imagine the DX12 GPUs will be amazing. So I guess I could wait until the GTX 870 comes out. I like what I am seeing from Maxwell. Also the more I think about it the more I don't want to get another Kelper GPU. The only reason I really wanted a different one is becuase my PNY GTX 7702gb does not have the best power delivery. I only ever reach above 80% power occasionally. I did overvolt and slight overclock. Temps are below 65°C most of the time when gaming under full load. So in a way I wanted to replace mine and still have it. I Hope I can wait maybe I just won't play Metro LL until I can play it at 1440p with everything on. BF4 seems to look fine on a GTX 770 2gb The numbers a lower than I would expect seeing how it really does not look to different from BF3, but that could be youtube compression.