New (larger) HDD doesn't work in old WD external HDD enclosure

jvkeizer

So I used to have a Western Digital WD Elements 1 TB USB 2.0 that I have dissassembled a few years ago to put the actual drive in my pc. I kept the piece of pcb that has the SATA, 12v power and mini-usb connections to use as an external drive reader. It has always worked fine for me with 250GB tot 1TB drives, however, now I am trying to use it with a new 2TB Seagate Barracude HDD and it doesn't work properly.

I managed to get it to connect once and partitioned the drive, but after removing and trying numerous times on different computers, Windows doesn't detect that I insert a usb device, nor does the drive start spinning when I connect it. The little indicator LED is blinking, so there is power and when I switch to another 500GB drive that one works fine. Hooking up the 2TB drive to my PC internally through sata works fine as well, it's formatted as I left it.

Does anyone have any idea what causes this problem and whether I can fix it? Is the pcb from my old external HDD limited to 1TB or something? Any help would be hugely appreciated!

My personal rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/139780-zalman-my-first-build/

I use it partially as a Hackintosh. Don't judge me.

Doesnt answer the question in any way:

Correct me if I am wrong, but I feel there is some power draw limits that are the causing the problem. The bigger drive needs more power to spin up while the smaller one requires less. Even I have faced this issue when connecting a bigger(I think its a 5.25") drive to a USB to SATA adapter(meant to use with I think 2.5" drives). The bigger drive just wont spin(the bigger one is a 160GB while the smaller one is a 1TB) while the smaller one works just fine. I dont think this is an issue with the storage capacities of the drives. I still havent found a way to use the 5.25" drive with the adapter.

On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

10 minutes ago, LTTfan2006 said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but I feel there is some power draw limits that are the causing the problem. The bigger drive needs more power to spin up while the smaller one requires less. Even I have faced this issue when connecting a bigger(I think its a 5.25") drive to a USB to SATA adapter(meant to use with I think 2.5" drives). The bigger drive just wont spin(the bigger one is a 160GB while the smaller one is a 1TB) while the smaller one works just fine. I dont think this is an issue with the storage capacities of the drives. I still havent found a way to use the 5.25" drive with the adapter.

What do you mean by a bigger drive? The drive that it used to run was 3.5", just like the one I'm trying to run now. Also, it is conencted to a 12V 1.5A adapter, which should be plenty of power I think? Anyways, I've ordered a new encasing so I hope that'll solve the issue.

My personal rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/139780-zalman-my-first-build/

I use it partially as a Hackintosh. Don't judge me.

By bigger I meant larger, the 5.25" drive. I salvaged this from a really old PC, just 160GB.
and by smaller, I meant the smaller, 2.5" drive. I salvaged this one from an old laptop.

I misunderstood you for meaning "larger"(as in your title of the thread) as a physically larger drive rather than with reference to the storage. Sorry for that. I agree that my answer doesnt seem to answer the question in any way.

On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide