Geforce GTX960m 2GB overclocking with EVGA Precision

Mj_

how much overclocking is ok like i can go +135 on GPU and memory overclocking i do +700 but i dont know if its good.

Your system will generally tell you if your OC is too high by crashing or causing visual artifacts. If you have no problems during heavy loads then it is probably ok, but keep an eye on your temps because mobile GPUs already get hot and OCing will just make it worse.

3 minutes ago, Shoopman said:

Your system will generally tell you if your OC is too high by crashing or causing visual artifacts. If you have no problems during heavy loads then it is probably ok, but keep an eye on your temps because mobile GPUs already get hot and OCing will just make it worse.

highest i get is 99 CPU and 92 GPU temps, is it normal or bad for my laptop, its DEll xps 15 9550, also will repasting with arctic mx4 help reduce temps since its on factory thermal paste.

Edit: i didnt see any crashes yet

Edited by Mj_

Both of those temps are extremely hot. You should re-paste both your CPU and GPU ASAP, as well as clean out all the dust from the vents and fans. I have no experience with that laptop but you should definitely try to keep your temps below 90C at the very least. I would not OC if you are running that hot.

1 minute ago, Shoopman said:

Both of those temps are extremely hot. You should re-paste both your CPU and GPU ASAP, as well as clean out all the dust from the vents and fans. I have no experience with that laptop but you should definitely try to keep your temps below 90C at the very least. I would not OC if you are running that hot.

ok thanks man

Just now, Mj_ said:

ok thanks man

I should add that you should only re-paste things if your warranty is expired. Since you are running a 900 series chip I assume that it is, but just be sure.

Post the results when you're done, I'm interested to see how much of a difference it makes. I've personally done this 3 times on 3 different laptops and seen a dramatic reduction in temps each time.

4 minutes ago, Mj_ said:

ok thanks man

If temps don't get a lot better with a repaste I'd advise to undervolt, if anything... Might be able to get a few more MHz that way too, and keep temps down a bit.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

1 minute ago, Shoopman said:

I should add that you should only re-paste things if your warranty is expired. Since you are running a 900 series chip I assume that it is, but just be sure.

Post the results when you're done, I'm interested to see how much of a difference it makes. I've personally done this 3 times on 3 different laptops and seen a dramatic reduction in temps each time.

Sure i will, Arctic Mx4 is on its way, i have ordered it and how much reduction in temps have you seen on your laptops?

Just now, Mj_ said:

Sure i will, Arctic Mx4 is on its way, i have ordered it and how much reduction in temps have you seen on your laptops?

On average about 10C on the CPU and 5C on the GPU, both under load and at idle. The reduced idle temps also mean that the fans spin less often, making the whole machine quieter. Cleaning out the fans and vents helps with this too. I was able to run the "balanced" fan profile without having to resort to the much louder "turbo" setting so that was a great improvement.

To clean the fans/vents use compressed air if you have it, preferably over a sink. If you don't, you can gently brush the dust out with an old toothbrush or other kind of soft brush. Make sure the fan/cooling assembly is completely detached from the motherboard before doing this. If you can take the fans off completely, even better.

4 minutes ago, Shoopman said:

On average about 10C on the CPU and 5C on the GPU, both under load and at idle. The reduced idle temps also mean that the fans spin less often, making the whole machine quieter. Cleaning out the fans and vents helps with this too. I was able to run the "balanced" fan profile without having to resort to the much louder "turbo" setting so that was a great improvement.

To clean the fans/vents use compressed air if you have it, preferably over a sink. If you don't, you can gently brush the dust out with an old toothbrush or other kind of soft brush. Make sure the fan/cooling assembly is completely detached from the motherboard before doing this. If you can take the fans off completely, even better.

Okay will do that before repasting it.