Painting GPU shroud

Rainbrew

Hey everyone, so I have a gtx 1060 Gaming X from MSI which is obviously out of warranty so I'm thinking about modding it to match the rest of my new build. I'm planning on disassembling it, reapplying thermal paste and painting the red elements of the shroud white. What type of paint would be the best for this? Would primer + white paint +sanding be best or maybe simply plasti-dipping it? The gtx 1060 runs very cool and the shroud isn't critical to heat dissipation so I assume this is a completely doable mod and the insulating part of plasti-dip wont be an issue in terms of heat.

1 minute ago, Abdullah Bhutta said:

How To Paint Graphics Cards and Motherboard Shrouds YouTube

Check out Bit-Tech YT for more mods like this one.

Use a paint that will survive the temps on the back of your GPU as high temps can damage the coating of the paint.

I'm only interested in painting the plastic shroud on the front, the backplate is black and I think it looks fine.

Disclaimer lol: I have never painted and i go off the opinion of other peoples i talked to and google

plasti dip is good if you know how to apply it but wouldnt make sense if your warranty is already void. also using primer with plasti dip wouldnt make sense too. It really only is viable if u do it right and just dont tell ur manufacturer that u painted it if you get it off clean. Also if u really do it wrong it has the chance of peeling or looking completely ugly. 

ig u would just need to choose what works best on the material of the card. but rely on experienced spray painters on this

Ping me or quote me in replys ples. Anyone talking about AiOs and trashing people for a front mount watch THIS JAYZTWOCENTS VID because u 99.9% skipped or didnt understand the Gamers Nexus vid...

Spoiler

Also pineapple doesnt go on pizza

if it's glossy plastic, going over it with some extra fine grit sandpaper followed by washing and drying will help the paint adhere. The good news is a GPU isn't a hard-wearing component physically so you don't necessarily have to go overboard on it.

i did a rattle can jobbie on my Vega 64 with some random paint I had and it turned out pretty good. It's just been in my system so not much opportunity to damage the enamel.

20191113_213432.jpg

Powerspec 1530 (Clevo PB50DF2) ~ i7 10875H ~ RTX 2070 Super 115W ~ 32GB DDR4 ~ 2x 1TB NVMe ~ 2TB 5400RPM ~ 1080P 240hz matte IPS

Gigabyte G1 GA-970-SLI ~ FX 8320 @ 3.3Ghz, 1212mV ~ 16GB DDR3 ~ Radeon 570 4GB ~ 512GB NVMe ~ 2x 1TB HGST 7200RPM

Xtras ~ Dell 22" 1680x1050 matte IPS monitor ~ Logi M705 mouse ~ PowerA Fusion Pro Xbox One controller ~ Sony XB950N1 headphones ~ Epson V700 film scanner

Streaming Setup ~ OBS Studio with AMF encoding ~ iVCam bridged to LG G6 ~ Focusrite Scarlett Solo interface ~ TONOR condenser cardioid mic

42 minutes ago, Natty Ice said:

if it's glossy plastic, going over it with some extra fine grit sandpaper followed by washing and drying will help the paint adhere. The good news is a GPU isn't a hard-wearing component physically so you don't necessarily have to go overboard on it.

i did a rattle can jobbie on my Vega 64 with some random paint I had and it turned out pretty good. It's just been in my system so not much opportunity to damage the enamel.

20191112_193334.jpg

What do the temps look like on that thing? It seems to be watercooled so probably heat isnt a concern there. I'm wondering if I should be looking at some sort of automotive paint for the shroud, but I think I'll just test myself by running furmark or something for 10-15 minutes and then checking how hot the shroud gets.

So after running furmark on my OC on this card with the default fan profile (which is hella quiet) the card didnt exceed 80 degrees and the shroud itself was around 40 degrees (celsius). I assume regular spray paint would work on the plastic then, but if anyone knows the heat tolerance of spray paint then that would be great, as internet sources claim that even cheap spray paint will only release flammable fumes around 90-150 celsius.