HIGH CPU TEMPS

Albo93

I've built a pc with the following components :

1. Asus rog strix b550
  2. Ryzen 7 3800x
  3. 16gb (8x2) corsair Vengeance ram
  4. Icue 4000x case
  5. Stock AMD rgb cooler

For some reason my idle temperature is high, when I switch it off for a period of time it starts at 35°c (bios) when I get to home screen and go to corsairs icue dashboard it between 45°c - 60°c. 

Would you would guys recommend doing if its not normal?. I've heard the stock cpu coolers for AMD are bad. I was planning on getting a nactua cooler anyway and reapplying the paste again. Would that sort this out or should I be doing something else ? 

How are you measuring the temps?

16 minutes ago, fuzz0r said:

How are you measuring the temps?

Asus bios and once booted corsair icue application has a dashboard which measures the temps. Would they be wrong ? 

11 minutes ago, Albo93 said:

Asus bios and once booted corsair icue application has a dashboard which measures the temps. Would they be wrong ? 

I don't honestly know, maybe?

I would try to measure with Ryzen Master just to check that they are correct.

19 minutes ago, Albo93 said:

The reported temperatures in BIOS are less likely to be inaccurate vs Corsair iCUE. Have you checked with HWinfo64?? I'd check between Ryzen Master and HWinfo64 to see if both are reporting the same temperatures, then they shouldn't be wrong. Don't use HWMonitor as it's known to report incorrect temperatures readings from the sensors and/or wrong sensors. 

Your idle temp of (if correct from iCUE) 45-60oC is okay for a stock cooler, but it matters more under load if the temperatures are getting too high.

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

6 minutes ago, fuzz0r said:

I don't honestly know, maybe?

I would try to measure with Ryzen Master just to check that they are correct.

Just download, idle is still better 42°c and 54°c but the jumps in temps are very high, meaning it'll jump from 43 to 55, then back down to 47 etc 

1 minute ago, SpiderMan said:

The reported temperatures in BIOS are less likely to be inaccurate vs Corsair iCUE. Have you checked with HWinfo64?? I'd check between Ryzen Master and HWinfo64 to see if both are reporting the same temperatures, then they shouldn't be wrong. Don't use HWMonitor as it's known to report incorrect temperatures readings from the sensors and/or wrong sensors. 

Your idle temp of (if correct from iCUE) 45-60oC is okay for a stock cooler, but it matters more under load if the temperatures are getting too high.

1 minute ago, Albo93 said:

Just download, idle is still better 42°c and 54°c but the jumps in temps are very high, meaning it'll jump from 43 to 55, then back down to 47 etc 

So I should get a better cooler and that should drop correct?. I've seen it jump to 65 70 when on a little bit of load so getting a better cooler should be a priority then?

7 minutes ago, Albo93 said:

It can be jumping in temperature whenever you open a new application or window and the CPU is doing short turbo boost clocks and going back down, which results in the temp spikes. But those are not very high temperature spikes, unless its going up into the 75-95oC range. 

2 minutes ago, Albo93 said:

So I should get a better cooler and that should drop correct?. I've seen it jump to 65 70 when on a little bit of load so getting a better cooler should be a priority then?

Those temperatures are not that bad right now, depending on what frequency your 3800X is running at. If you want more performance and run cooler, definitely make your next upgrade to this PC with a better cooler. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34"