What is "KB5001649"?? (UPDATED)

While I was checking for new updates for Windows after I did a clean install via Boot Camp, I noticed this strange update that will seemingly pop-up on the downloads list, but would not download or install for some reason. It is a "2021-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5001649)" and after a few attempt of installing it, it just ends up with the stop code as shown in the photo (apparently a failed update error). Doing a research of that particular KB, or any of the latest current available Windows update proved nothing, as this update somehow "does not exist yet".

No malware alerts so far from Kaspersky, so it isn't one; but it just wouldn't go away from the update screen. Kinda annoying, like Microsoft's teasing or something. Maybe someone here has the same conundrum, just lemme know.

UPDATE: So apparently it is a patch that removes Adobe Flash Player permanently from the system, along with a fix related to BSODs while printing on 20H2 systems. "Once installed, it cannot be removed." As of this edit, the update still refuses to push through in Windows Updates in Settings. While I haven't experienced that issue while using my Canon printer at home, I might just install it anyway for the Flash Player removal.

I will keep this thead open should any issue pop up regarding this update until futher notice. Thanks everyone! 👍

Link: March 18, 2021—KB5001649 (OS Builds 19041.870 and 19042.870) Out-of-band (microsoft.com)

kb5001649 error update.png

Edited by Gentleman Parrot
Updated the community post re: the topic

Hi there,

Just to report that the same thing is happening to me. 
I have never missed any updates. 

2 minutes ago, DonFer said:

Hi there,

Just to report that the same thing is happening to me. 
I have never missed any updates. 

Same. Kinda weird this one though.

Link to the update. Apparently it's just to do with this "Updates an issue that fails to print the graphical content in a document after installing the March 9, 2021 update.". Have not tried installing it myself. Might try in the morning.

Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 AF -- CPU Cooler: Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT -- Mobo: Gigabyte AX370-Gaming K5 -- RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Oloy 3000 MHz -- GPU: EVGA Nvidia 1070 Black -- Case: Phanteks P600S -- Storage: 240GB Corsair Force MP510 NVMe - 500GB WD Blue HDD - Hitachi 3TB HDD -- PSU: Corsair RM750i -- OS: Windows 10 Pro

Same thing on my end, fresh install yesterday, then this

thank god its only for Adobe Flash

@Gentleman ParrotYes the same update showed up today after latest updates installed in my PC. Dont know, what's the issue, the download/install crashes with the stop code 0x80070541.

WU Error1.PNG

У меня такая же ошибка на всех трех стацианорных компах, правда винда стоит одинаковая на всех, качал с оффсайта когда устанавливал (потом крякнул)

А вот на ноуте стоит полностью официальная винда, код вшит в ноут, таже проблема

У меня русский интерфейс винды

Screenshot_35.png

3 hours ago, Gentleman Parrot said:

While I was checking for new updates for Windows after I did a clean install via Boot Camp, I noticed this strange update that will seemingly pop-up on the downloads list, but would not download or install for some reason. It is a "2021-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5001649)" and after a few attempt of installing it, it just ends up with the stop code as shown in the photo (apparently a failed update error). Doing a research of that particular KB, or any of the latest current available Windows update proved nothing, as this update somehow "does not exist yet".

No malware alerts so far from Kaspersky, so it isn't one; but it just wouldn't go away from the update screen. Kinda annoying, like Microsoft's teasing or something. Maybe someone here has the same conundrum, just lemme know.

kb5001649 error update.png

Same stuff is happening to me right now. I thought i had a malware too but after many security checks nothings wrong.

Screenshot 2021-03-19 102959.png

Same for me. Can't seem to fix with the usual methods. 

0x80070541.PNG

Have you guys tried going to this website: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB5001649

Do it through Edge, and run it I will install the update then restart your computer. Once it is done you should be good, it may show the same update error but it should clear it soon after, try checking for updates again.

Я уже устанавливаю по ссылке обновление вручную, как закончу, то отпишусь о результатах, ждите

Долго устанавливается, не меньше 30 минут будет, а может и дольше

Hi, yesterday evening I wanted to print some PDF documents and there occured some issues, a printing task wasn't executing and got stuck in the printing queue.

After that initial problem I experienced Acrobat Reader crashing repeatedly. I didn't make much of it at the time but when I got back onto my pc this morning and started working I ran into the problem of Acrobat Reader crashing everytime after 1-2 seconds. What's even worse is that other programs have the same problem, they crash after 1 or 2 seconds as wel. Even my games have the same issue, all of them crash after 1-2 seconds...

I did some research and found out that the Win10 March update was causing BSOD problems when printing documents; I also learnt there was an fix update for it 2 days ago.

I then started Win10 update and I saw there was another 'fix update' called KB5001649 relating again to a printing issue... This update I have the same problem with as stated above in the previous posts, it just won't install...

I hope I can get some clarity on this soon and fixed asap.. It's very frustrating because I've got some work to do..

Я установил вручную и все заработало, УРА! YES, так что устанавливайте вручную, удачи

This update is fucked up. It's failing on my clean Win10 install laptop after it gets to 1% and on my desktop it's stuck on 0% with zero transfers for 15 minutes. Come on Microsoft, wtf?!

2 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

This update is fucked up. It's failing on my clean Win10 install laptop after it gets to 1% and on my desktop it's stuck on 0% with zero transfers for 15 minutes. Come on Microsoft, wtf?!

Do you also have problems with programs or apps crashing after a few seconds?

3 minutes ago, Cernunnos said:

I downloaded it, tried to install but it crashes immediatly, as with other programs I try to run.. FML omfg...

i think you ve other issue with ur windows. i install it., having no issue. working pretty good windows and all programs.

3 minutes ago, Cernunnos said:

I downloaded it, tried to install but it crashes immediatly, as with other programs I try to run.. FML omfg...

image.thumb.png.5c83b3c6b36ed264bd7e512a74666dac.pngthat is notting happen