Pcie 4 nvme m.2 gaming part time mining rig

Chrismike

Hi guys so.... sorry this may be too long, main question at the bottom. But just for context:聽my aorus gen4 1tb ssd聽m.2 just died. 3months old 馃槥

my build: aorus x570 pro wifi atx board聽ryzen 5 and 3070 running on custom loop. Gpu and cpu aren鈥檛 normally OCd and their temps are peaking at 50c with load.

Even though it鈥檚 liquid cooled,聽case still has聽good airflow聽inside. It has聽2 bottom fans blowing fresh air in fixed at 1200rpm. 2 rad fans up top are set to have a minimum rpm聽of 600rpm聽and increases depending on聽cpu temp. 1 rear fan continously exhausts air as well at a fixed 1200rpm. 2 rad fans at聽the front same fan curve as the top rad but fans are聽triggered by gpu temp.聽So like i said, good airflow inside the case.聽
temp inside the case聽ranges about 40c聽maybe even less, case panel is always room temp.聽And when i open the panel it鈥檚 just a bit warmer than ambient. Case is a meshify c.聽聽Ambient temp is about 30c at night. But becomes 24 when I鈥檓 inside the room during daytime.聽

聽Computer is basically used for office apps like word/powerpoint and teams during day time (while computer is mining),聽a bit of gaming in the afternoon(no longer mining), and finally聽mines all through the night. This has been its routine for the last 3months.聽

I regularly monitor my temps for my storage devices. Both my aorus gen4 nvme ssds (1tb and 2tb) idles at about 39-47c. Peaks at 67c during benchmark if i remember correctly. Maintains about 60c during gaming.聽I believe those are聽well within its op range regardless if the computer is running non stop or not.

I also have an hdd used for downloads and storing of all my documents. I also forwarded my cloud files syncing to my hdd as well (utilizing mklink in cmd)聽to minimize read/writes on my ssds.聽

basically both my ssds are just for gaming files and OS boot drive. All apps and windows are installed in聽my 1tb nvme.聽

both my m.2s have their heat spreaders attched still, with a thermal pad on top with a heatsink. Heatsink聽came with my mobo. (This may trigger a debate, but let鈥檚 just drop the heat spreader subject for now, unless you really think it was the main cause of its demise).

then, my primary 1tb died. My computer first crashed when i woke it up yesterday morning. I know it was running fine before i woke it because i was monitoring my mining through my phone and was running fine,聽before actually聽touching my computer to wake it up.聽I brushed it off as windows being windows.

then it crashed the second time. But this time it sent a crash report to windows before actually restarting. During boot up,聽it just stopped working. And finally declaring it dead at time 10:08utc

edit- a thought just occurred to me. Is mining bad for an m.2 ssd? I mean it constantly reads and writes.....so.... could it have something to do with it?

TL/DR: are nvme m.2 ssds not designed to operate non stop even if it鈥檚 just on idle most of the time? or am i just over thinking stuff and simply have a faulty ssd?聽I estimate that the drive only had about 10TBW +/- 5TB before failing (all though it was operating non stop and being a boot drive)

For those who read it all....馃憦馃憦馃憦馃憦馃憦

Someone else can chime in if they no better but from my understanding of ssds, the temperature even though high doesn't go near the limits so I doubt that was the cause and the TBW should be way higher then what you have written to it. So sounds like it was faulty, I'd RMA it.

I dunno about the whole heat spreader situation, these drives come with a copper based one right? If so are you using another one on top of that? If not and it's just your motherboards m.2 heatsinks, I don't think that's an issue either.

Wraith/Main Rig: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | DeepCool AK620 | ASRock X570 Steel Legend | Micron Workstation ECC 64GB | XFX Speedster SWFT 319 Radeon RX 6800 XT 16GB | Topping D50s+A50s+PA3s | Seagate FireCuda 520 NVMe 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO M.2 1TB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 2TB, HPE SSD 1.92TB, Toshiba X300 4TB, Seagate SkyHawk 4TB, WD Blue 4TB, HPE HDD 8TB | LG GGW-H20L Bluray-RW, Pioneer DVR-220LBK DVD-RW | HP NC550SFP 10GbE | Super Flower Leadex II Gold 750W | CoolerMaster MasterCase MC500P - Ghost/Test Rig: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B | Asus ROG Strix X370-F | Crucial Ballistix Red 16GB | ASRock聽Intel ARC A770 Phantom Gaming D 8GB | Asus Xonar D2X | Crucial MX500 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 500GB | SAMA Forza 750W Gold | Antec GX200

Phantom/Win98 Rig: AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+ | Arctic Cooling Copper Silent 3 | ASRock K7S41GX | Elixir 512MB | ATI Radeon 9800 XT 256MB with ATI Silencer 3 Rev.2 | Aureal BA88DL30A-01 Vortex 2 | Seagate Barracuda 160GB | LiteOn IHDP118-18 DVD-Rom | Samsung FDD | Ccivo 300W | CiT S008B - Parvati IV/Home Unraid Rig: Dual AMD Opteron 4184 | 2x Noctua NH-U12DO A3 | Supermicro Aplus H8DCL-i | Samsung ECC 32GB | Matrox G200eW 16MB | Kioxia Exceria G2 1TB, HPE Seagate Exos 4TB, 2x Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB, 2x Toshiba E300 2TB, Seagate SkyHawk 2TB, 2x Samsung Spinpoint F4EG 2TB, Seagate Essentials 1TB, WD Green 500GB | Dell Perc H200+H310 HBA, HP NC550SFP 10GbE | Cooler Master MWE v2 850W | Corsair Obsidian 750d Full Tower - Behemoth12/Second Unraid Rig: HP Microserver G8聽| Xeon E3-1220L V2 | Intel C204 | Hynix ECC 16GB | Matrox G200eH 16MB | WD Green 500GB NVMe |

Yeah great!!!! Appreciate it. I was really hoping it鈥檚 just a faulty one. I mean it just kind of sucks. It will be replaced, ye, but the hassle of it tho. Had to re arrange my storage and running on my hdd now that used to be my storage for my ps4......it. Is. Slow. I鈥檓 just really frustrated.

Let me ask you this, was the drive in the slot right underneath your 3070? Or on the slot on top?

PC 1: CPU: i5 12600k聽 聽 聽GPU: RTX 4080聽 聽 聽MOTHERBOARD: Asus B650M-A D4聽 聽 聽 聽RAM: 16x4 DDR4 3200聽 聽 聽 聽POWERSUPPLY: EVGA 650 G6聽聽

SSD: WD Black gen 4 x2 + Crucial MX 500 x2聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽

KEYBOARD: Keychron K4聽 聽 MOUSE: Logitech G502 SE Hero聽 聽MOUSE PAD: Goliathus control XL聽 聽MONITOR: Alienware AW3423DW + LG 25UM58 + Dell 24"聽 Speakers: Edifier R1280T + SVS PB1000

Laptop: M1 MacBook Pro 16聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽

13 hours ago, Umeshwarnath said:

Let me ask you this, was the drive in the slot right underneath your 3070? Or on the slot on top?

Neitheir. Both are installed on either side of聽it. My gpu has a waterblock installed making it slimmer than usual. System temp just hovers around 42c. Gpu temps鈥檚聽at 41 most of the time and 37 at idle. Pcie x16 temp stays ay 49-51 regardless of gpu temp (overclocked or not).聽Both m.2 just hovers around 47-49 at idle. During gaming stays most of the time at 53. It spikes from time to time to 63 when in use but it doesn鈥檛 stay there. When the ssds were new, i tried to benchmark it 3 times in a row, crystaldiskmark, it did reach 67c. But that was like last december still. And I didn鈥檛 benchmark it since.