CPU and GPU Upgrade

MrModdy

Budget (including currency): £1100

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Any games 

Other details I was looking for some recommendation on what I should upgrade my CPU and GPU to I am currently running an I7-6700 with a GTX 1070 I am running it on an Asus H170-Pro motherboard which I can link the specs I have been debating about upgrading to a 30 series however, there would be a little bottle neck as they run on Gen 4 and my motherboard only supports Gen 3. I was looking for any suggestions on a faster CPU and GPU that would have the least bottlenecks. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Motherboard Specs

Gen 3 vs Gen 4 doesnt make too much of a difference,since PCIe slots are backwards compatibile.

I am running a 1070Ti on Gen 2.

Anywho, if you want to upgrade your GPU to 30 series, im afraid your CPU will bottleneck the GPU,so I'd go for a i7 9th series/10th series first.

Then aim for a 3060Ti/ 3070

1 hour ago, AXLP_LaZEReD said:

Gen 3 vs Gen 4 doesnt make too much of a difference,since PCIe slots are backwards compatibile.

I am running a 1070Ti on Gen 2.

Anywho, if you want to upgrade your GPU to 30 series, im afraid your CPU will bottleneck the GPU,so I'd go for a i7 9th series/10th series first.

Then aim for a 3060Ti/ 3070

Yea I understood that they are backwards compatible and that the CPU could be a bottle neck might just have to get a 20 Series instead it will be more than enough for a while plus it’ll save money.

2 minutes ago, MrModdy said:

Yea I understood that they are backwards compatible and that the CPU could be a bottle neck might just have to get a 20 Series instead it will be more than enough for a while plus it’ll save money.

True,but where in heck will you find a GPU now?

4 minutes ago, AXLP_LaZEReD said:

True,but where in heck will you find a GPU now?

Shop next to me has a 2060 in store however I believe they are overcharging.

Shop next to me has a 2060 in store however I believe they are overcharging.

whats the price?

2 minutes ago, AXLP_LaZEReD said:

whats the price?

Last time I checked they where trying to sell it for around £450 which if I’m correct it almost £200 more expensive than it should be which could be why it still hasn’t sold.

Last time I checked they where trying to sell it for around £450 which if I’m correct it almost £200 more expensive than it should be which could be why it still hasn’t sold.

yikes,i wouldnt go for it man... i'd stay with the 1070 since its still a pretty good GPU, im running a 1070Ti right now,got it for like $300

Just now, AXLP_LaZEReD said:

yikes,i wouldnt go for it man... i'd stay with the 1070 since its still a pretty good GPU, im running a 1070Ti right now,got it for like $300

Yea I’m only after an upgrade because I’m expecting mine to die in the next year or two. I’ve had it for 3 years now and it’s been pretty heavily used. Not the best time for it to be expected to die.

1 minute ago, MrModdy said:

Yea I’m only after an upgrade because I’m expecting mine to die in the next year or two. I’ve had it for 3 years now and it’s been pretty heavily used. Not the best time for it to be expected to die.

When will it die-is all RNG,it can die tomorrow and it can die in 6 years.

1 minute ago, AXLP_LaZEReD said:

When will it die-is all RNG,it can die tomorrow and it can die in 6 years.

Can only hope it’s doesn’t die while in a silicon shortage lmao.

1 minute ago, MrModdy said:

Can only hope it’s doesn’t die while in a silicon shortage lmao.

same man.. i bought this 1070Ti 2 months ago and it was used in gaming playgrounds for 2 years

1 minute ago, AXLP_LaZEReD said:

same man.. i bought this 1070Ti 2 months ago and it was used in gaming playgrounds for 2 years

Hopefully you’ll be fine. Recently had to replace my PSU as it was starting to go. It use to ramp up and make this awful noise so I had to get that sorted straight away which is why I’m worried. If the PSU has already went what’s next? Lmao.

3 minutes ago, MrModdy said:

Hopefully you’ll be fine. Recently had to replace my PSU as it was starting to go. It use to ramp up and make this awful noise so I had to get that sorted straight away which is why I’m worried. If the PSU has already went what’s next? Lmao.

just hope your motherboard doesnt go away lol

just hope your motherboard doesnt go away lol

That would be tragic lmao need a new one anyway just want to hold out as long as possible. The features on mine aren’t exactly up to date in terms of CPU compatibility but it does the job for now. Thinking about it I should really get a new one before upgrading CPU. Might as well be building a completely new PC at this rate lmao.

3 minutes ago, MrModdy said:

That would be tragic lmao need a new one anyway just want to hold out as long as possible. The features on mine aren’t exactly up to date in terms of CPU compatibility but it does the job for now. Thinking about it I should really get a new one before upgrading CPU. Might as well be building a completely new PC at this rate lmao.

I feel you buddy,im still running a gen2 motherboard haha, ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution and a 2011 cpu, Xeon X5650 😛 

I feel you buddy,im still running a gen2 motherboard haha, ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution and a 2011 cpu, Xeon X5650 😛 

All I see is the price sign rising thinking about it I could just sell mine and get a decent prebuilt for cheap my mate just got one with an I5-10400F and a RTX 3070 for £1350. At least this way it would be an upgrade for the motherboard as well however that prebuild is a little bit stingy for storage so a HDD would also have to be purchased.