Final motherboard decision

Go to solution Solved by Entropy.,
1 minute ago, Rainbrew said:

Could I ask why the Carbon isn't optimal? I've seen a decent amount of reviews on it and it seems pretty good but maybe I'm missing something as I'm not very familiar with motherboard stuff. The lack of wifi on the 550- a pro is a no go for me sadly.

I'm for the most part regarding VRMs. When compared to other boards, the solution is fine, just not the greatest. 

Hey everyone, so after multiple posts and a lot of thinking I've managed to whittle down my motherboard choices to one of two- either the MSI MPG B550 Gaming Carbon, or the Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE AX V2. In my country they're similarly priced, but it seems to me that the MSI mobo is much more feature-packed and the only thing it could potentially be missing is Gigabyte's audio solution (I'll be getting a DAC anyways, so that doesn't matter). Another option is the Asus B550-E, however I don't really plan on overclocking and it's very close to x570 motherboards in price.  According to the VRM tierlist the B550-E and MSI Carbon are both S- tier while the Elite is A, however beyond longevity due to lower thermals this doesn't affect me much as I dont plan on overclocking the 5600x I'll be putting in one of these boards.

Which of these would you go for?

2 minutes ago, Rainbrew said:

Hey everyone, so after multiple posts and a lot of thinking I've managed to whittle down my motherboard choices to one of two- either the MSI MPG B550 Gaming Carbon, or the Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE AX V2. In my country they're similarly priced, but it seems to me that the MSI mobo is much more feature-packed and the only thing it could potentially be missing is Gigabyte's audio solution (I'll be getting a DAC anyways, so that doesn't matter). Another option is the Asus B550-E, however I don't really plan on overclocking and it's very close to x570 motherboards in price.  According to the VRM tierlist the B550-E and MSI Carbon are both S- tier while the Elite is A, however beyond longevity due to lower thermals this doesn't affect me much as I dont plan on overclocking the 5600x I'll be putting in one of these boards.

Which of these would you go for?

What cpu are you looking to use it with? 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

Just now, Brok3n But who cares? said:

What cpu are you looking to use it with? 

I think I mentioned in my post, it'll be a ryzen 5600x! I don't need anything else really as I'll be using this machine for gaming and hobby-level music production/rendering and it'll be quite a step up from my current i7-2600!

8 minutes ago, Rainbrew said:

I think I mentioned in my post, it'll be a ryzen 5600x! I don't need anything else really as I'll be using this machine for gaming and hobby-level music production/rendering and it'll be quite a step up from my current i7-2600!

Well, I guess the edge should work well. The b550-e should be more expensive and the vrms aren't great iirc. I'm not a huge fan of either board,  but they both seem pretty decent, especially for the price. If the edge has more features that you want, go for it! Enjoy your build 🙂

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

4 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Well, I guess the edge should work well. The b550-e should be more expensive and the vrms aren't great iirc. I'm not a huge fan of either board,  but they both seem pretty decent, especially for the price. If the edge has more features that you want, go for it! Enjoy your build 🙂

I think this board isn't part of the edge series, or if it is it lacks any of the branding. If you had to go for a b-550 what would you suggest? I'm mainly looking for something ATX, with wifi, and with a usb-c connector on the motherboard. That unfortunately greatly decreases the number of boards I can get as the USB-C internal connector isn't very common.

25 minutes ago, Rainbrew said:

I think this board isn't part of the edge series, or if it is it lacks any of the branding. If you had to go for a b-550 what would you suggest? I'm mainly looking for something ATX, with wifi, and with a usb-c connector on the motherboard. That unfortunately greatly decreases the number of boards I can get as the USB-C internal connector isn't very common.

Sorry, I meant carbon lol. I'd honestly go with the MSI B550-A pro.

6 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Sorry, I meant carbon lol. I'd honestly go with the MSI B550-A pro.

Could I ask why the Carbon isn't optimal? I've seen a decent amount of reviews on it and it seems pretty good but maybe I'm missing something as I'm not very familiar with motherboard stuff. The lack of wifi on the 550- a pro is a no go for me sadly.

1 minute ago, Rainbrew said:

I'm for the most part regarding VRMs. When compared to other boards, the solution is fine, just not the greatest. 

23 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

I think that'll do then, a 5600x only needs 65w so even if I overclock i think I'll be good on this board. Thanks for your help!

Also, unless I'm wrong I think I saw the b550 carbon in S- tier on the tier list but maybe that's a different motherboard.