$500 Budget PC Build

Vale88

Budget (including currency): $500USD Max but if we can stay under that that would be great

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Light Digital Painting in PS/CSP, It'd also be nice to do some light 2D animation in Blender.
For Gaming: Skyrim SE, Subnautica Below Zero, Don't Starve Together, and Yakuza on Med graphics

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): I'm upgrading from my nearly decade old prebuilt home office pc. I don't need any peripherals and my current monitor is 1366x768 60hz, I'd like to upgrade to a 1440P 90-120Hz monitor in the future but that likely won't be this year. And I'm planning on buying sometime before or around May.

Here's the part list I quickly put together, the storage listed is the one I have currently and it still has over 1TB remaining on it. I'd like to continue to use if at all possible.

I don't know much about PC's and this will be my first time building a computer so any help is greatly appreciated, thanks! 🙂

You should have room in the budget to include a Samsung 860 EVO 250GB. Booting from that HDD at first will be fine, but Windows 10 has a habit of rotting away and becoming unbearably slow by about a year into the installation, especially on hard dives.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

11 minutes ago, Vale88 said:

Budget (including currency): $500USD Max but if we can stay under that that would be great

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Light Digital Painting in PS/CSP, It'd also be nice to do some light 2D animation in Blender.
For Gaming: Skyrim SE, Subnautica Below Zero, Don't Starve Together, and Yakuza on Med graphics

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): I'm upgrading from my nearly decade old prebuilt home office pc. I don't need any peripherals and my current monitor is 1366x768 60hz, I'd like to upgrade to a 1440P 90-120Hz monitor in the future but that likely won't be this year. And I'm planning on buying sometime before or around May.

Here's the part list I quickly put together, the storage listed is the one I have currently and it still has over 1TB remaining on it. I'd like to continue to use if at all possible.

I don't know much about PC's and this will be my first time building a computer so any help is greatly appreciated, thanks! 🙂

I agree with Lloyd, you should get some kind of SSD, even a 120GB cheapo SSD will be MILES faster than the hard drive, also, make sure that the motherboard is updated to the latest bios so that it supports the 3400G, last thing you want is to try and boot your new PC and it just doesnt.

Main PC | AMD R7 3700X | Noctua D14 | MSI RTX 2080 Super XS OC | Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | MSI B550A Pro | 1TB PNY XLR8 NVMe SSD | Kingston A400 960GB SSD | 2TB Western Digital Green HDD | Fractal Design Define R6TG |

Laptop (Asus TUF FX505DY) | AMD R5 3550H | RX560X | Crucial DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | Western Digital SN550 256GB SSD | PNY CS900 960GB SSD |

Phone | Samsung S10 Lite (128GB + 128GB SD card) |

Other Cool Stuff | Steam Link | Sontronics Podcast Pro | NZXT Hue+ | Corsair K70 MK 2 (MX Brown) | Logitech G402 | HiSense A7300 43 Inch 4K TV | Logitech C920 | Ender 3 Pro with Bulleye Fan duct and BLTouch |Sony PS4 | Nintendo Switch 

Added an SSD and changed the PSU to a higher quality PSU. The system won’t even consume more than 175 watts so 500W is more than enough.

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

13 minutes ago, Vale88 said:

The build looks pretty solid not gonna lie! For your first ever time picking out parts you definitely did your research. You might not be able to play super high settings but with your current monitor you should be able to pull of medium on all of the listed games easily. Nice future-proofing with the MB and RAM both able to support later gen CPUs and GPUs. I would recommend like everyone else here, to get an SSD. Whether or not its big it will speed up game load times and will make your windows experience smoother. Make sure you install your games and OS on it and leave large blender files or other misc files on your HDD. You could get this small Samsung one right here if you like, or look for a cheaper alternative if you want to save a few bucks

https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-500GB-Internal-MZ-77E500B-AM/dp/B08QBMD6P4/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=SSD&qid=1615674599&sr=8-3

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA  MB: MSI B550-A PRO  Cooler: DeepCool AK620  Drives: Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, 970 EVO 1TB

17 minutes ago, Hullwood2 said:

The build looks pretty solid not gonna lie! For your first ever time picking out parts you definitely did your research. You might not be able to play super high settings but with your current monitor you should be able to pull of medium on all of the listed games easily. Nice future-proofing with the MB and RAM both able to support later gen CPUs and GPUs. I would recommend like everyone else here, to get an SSD. Whether or not its big it will speed up game load times and will make your windows experience smoother. Make sure you install your games and OS on it and leave large blender files or other misc files on your HDD. You could get this small Samsung one right here if you like, or look for a cheaper alternative if you want to save a few bucks

https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-500GB-Internal-MZ-77E500B-AM/dp/B08QBMD6P4/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=SSD&qid=1615674599&sr=8-3

$65 for a SATA drive? At that price you could get a 500GB NVME Drive

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

22 minutes ago, LloydLynx said:

You should have room in the budget to include a Samsung 860 EVO 250GB. Booting from that HDD at first will be fine, but Windows 10 has a habit of rotting away and becoming unbearably slow by about a year into the installation, especially on hard dives.

18 minutes ago, AdamBGames said:

I agree with Lloyd, you should get some kind of SSD, even a 120GB cheapo SSD will be MILES faster than the hard drive, also, make sure that the motherboard is updated to the latest bios so that it supports the 3400G, last thing you want is to try and boot your new PC and it just doesnt.

20 minutes ago, Hullwood2 said:

The build looks pretty solid not gonna lie! For your first ever time picking out parts you definitely did your research. You might not be able to play super high settings but with your current monitor you should be able to pull of medium on all of the listed games easily. Nice future-proofing with the MB and RAM both able to support later gen CPUs and GPUs. I would recommend like everyone else here, to get an SSD. Whether or not its big it will speed up game load times and will make your windows experience smoother. Make sure you install your games and OS on it and leave large blender files or other misc files on your HDD.

Thanks for the suggestions! I added this SSD to the build. And I don't remember the last time I did a fresh install of windows that must be why my computer boots up so slow these days 😅

And I've already checked it looks like the motherboard has been updated to be compatible with the 3400G. And I did do quite a bit of research into this as I don't wanna be stuck with something that won't last and can't be upgraded in the future, I'm glad I did well 🙂

18 minutes ago, Downkey said:

changed the PSU to a higher quality PSU. The system won’t even consume more than 175 watts so 500W is more than enough.

Will the PSU you added be powerful enough to support a newish mid-tier GPU if I get one in the future? I don't wanna have to buy a whole new PSU in year or two if I end up deciding to get one 😞

14 hours ago, Vale88 said:

Thanks for the suggestions! I added this SSD to the build. And I don't remember the last time I did a fresh install of windows that must be why my computer boots up so slow these days 😅

And I've already checked it looks like the motherboard has been updated to be compatible with the 3400G. And I did do quite a bit of research into this as I don't wanna be stuck with something that won't last and can't be upgraded in the future, I'm glad I did well 🙂

Will the PSU you added be powerful enough to support a newish mid-tier GPU if I get one in the future? I don't wanna have to buy a whole new PSU in year or two if I end up deciding to get one 😞

Yes. I would say you can put up too a RTX 3060 in there. The EVGA BR is a very mediocre unit so I think that this a better choice.

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

Alright thanks that sounds good, this is what I've got down for the build

Do you happen to know of any good tutorials for building and setting up a PC from start to finish?

28 minutes ago, Vale88 said:

Do you happen to know of any good tutorials for building and setting up a PC from start to finish?

Yes. Videos where Linus is building a PC 😅

I'm serious but joking at the same time. It is relatively easy, check out this link that I saved a few months ago:

https://www.techradar.com/how-to/how-to-build-a-pc

→  Kindly quote or mention me if you would like a reply back.

<famous quote>