New PC build

Rainbrew
Go to solution Solved by Jayzer,

I can't seem to find the Aorus Elite in the motherboard VRM subforum topic, but I'd say go with the Aorus Elite. I read up on the VRMs on both motherboards and now I know why the X570 version of the MSI board you returned had VRM problems.

The Aorus Elite, according to Google, has better VRMs than the MSI board.

TL;DR : Get the Gigabyte board. It has better VRMs.

Budget (including currency): ~2900PLN left

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Triple A games, Music production, 3d modelling (hobby level, nothing very demanding)

Other details:

Hi all, I've gone over this build many times in my head, on the forum and with my more tech-savvy friends. So far I have:

- 32gb of 3600Mhz cl17 ram (GOODRAM IRDM PRO WHITE)

- RM750x PSU (got it at a great price and allows for a big GPU in the future)

- be quiet! 500dx white case.

After a lot of thinking I've decided to go with: Ryzen 5 5600x, Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE AX V2 (want USB C connector for case), and a Noctua ND-H15 Chromax black. The GPU will be carried over from my current PC (Gtx 1060) but will be upgraded to something better once prices are reasonable.

As far as I can tell this is a reasonable setup and the general goal is a white/black theme without crazy RGB everywhere and I'd really like this PC to last quite a long time (hence the overkill cooling solution). I don't think I need an X570 mobo even though it is technically more future-proof. The price for a reasonable one with wifi (something I'd rather have just in case) is approximately 2x more expensive than the Gigabyte mobo listed above (in this case the cheapest good one is an X570 TUF Pro). Any tips/suggestions/comments greatly appreciated, the planning process for this thing is fairly stressful due to trying to balance budget + looks + longevity of the entire system. Thanks in advance!

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor $299.00 @ Best Buy
CPU Cooler be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler $89.90 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard $189.99 @ Best Buy
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $578.89
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-03-12 23:16 EST-0500  

This should be under your budget.

That board has WIFI in it, and should be good enough if you ever want to upgrade in the future. (although you need a bios update for it to work with the processor)

→  Kindly quote or mention me if you would like a reply back.

<famous quote>

3 hours ago, Jayzer said:
PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor $299.00 @ Best Buy
CPU Cooler be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler $89.90 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard $189.99 @ Best Buy
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $578.89
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-03-12 23:16 EST-0500  

This should be under your budget.

That board has WIFI in it, and should be good enough if you ever want to upgrade in the future. (although you need a bios update for it to work with the processor)

Thanks for the response! How does that board stack up against the Gigabyte board i mentioned? I just returned their x570 version of that  msi board due to vrm heat concerns so going back to it as a b550 feels a bit weird.

I can't seem to find the Aorus Elite in the motherboard VRM subforum topic, but I'd say go with the Aorus Elite. I read up on the VRMs on both motherboards and now I know why the X570 version of the MSI board you returned had VRM problems.

<famous quote>

40 minutes ago, Jayzer said:

Thanks for the advice! I found it under A tier so for my non-overclocking needs I assume it'll be perfect. I highly doubt I'll find myself needing the speed of multiple pcie 4.0 m.2 drives so I figured this one would be the best motherboard for the money, especially since 3.0 ssds are already ridiculously fast and I'll be moving from a sata one.

Whew, A Tier?

Wow, that's gonna be more than enough.

3 hours ago, Rainbrew said:

I highly doubt I'll find myself needing the speed of multiple pcie 4.0 m.2 drives

You never know. That's why this board is good for future upgrades, if you ever want to have them.

<famous quote>

2 minutes ago, Jayzer said:

Whew, A Tier?

Wow, that's gonna be more than enough.

You never know. That's why this board is good for future upgrades, if you ever want to have them.

Yeah definitely, but that was in reference to the X570 chipset being unnecessary in my use case. Anyways I'm grabbing the Gigabyte board, thanks for your help!