CPU upgrade advice

Sonefiler

I'm looking to upgrade my CPU to get better FPS in CSGO. I'm currently on a i5-9600K, 64GB RAM, and a GTX 1080, so I'm looking to upgrade my CPU most likely. I want minimum 150FPS consistently with low settings 1080p, even on the laggier maps; sometimes my FPS dips low enough that it's below the refresh rate of my monitor (especially when I also have a lot of other stuff open like a twitch stream or music or whatever), which I want to avoid at all costs. Would getting an i7-9700K be an effective way to reach this goal, or is it too little of an upgrade from my current setup? I'd like to spend as little money as possible on this. I use this PC for literally nothing else, so don't worry about any other use cases. 

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

23 minutes ago, Sonefiler said:

I'm looking to upgrade my CPU to get better FPS in CSGO. I'm currently on a i5-9600K, 64GB RAM, and a GTX 1080, so I'm looking to upgrade my CPU most likely. I want minimum 150FPS consistently with low settings 1080p, even on the laggier maps; sometimes my FPS dips low enough that it's below the refresh rate of my monitor (especially when I also have a lot of other stuff open like a twitch stream or music or whatever), which I want to avoid at all costs. Would getting an i7-9700K be an effective way to reach this goal, or is it too little of an upgrade from my current setup? I'd like to spend as little money as possible on this. I use this PC for literally nothing else, so don't worry about any other use cases. 

Honestly a 9700k would make some difference but I'd really say not that much. Overclocking your 1080 and the 9600k would give maybe even a bigger bump than just upgrading to the 9700k (unless your CPU cooler is crap of course)

10 hours ago, Sonefiler said:

a 1080 and 9600K should easily hit 150+ FPS constantly, my old ryzen 5 1400 and gtx 1050 got 120 - 150 FPS

Sounds like there may be something wrong with your PC

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

1 hour ago, Downkey said:

a 1080 and 9600K should easily hit 150+ FPS constantly, my old ryzen 5 1400 and gtx 1050 got 120 - 150 FPS

Sounds like there may be something wrong with your PC

To be clear, this only really happens on maps like Nuke or Vertigo, laggier maps, when I'm doing stuff like watching twitch streams at the same time on my second monitor, and especially when I'm next to a smoke. But, if this is still unusual, do you have any advice on what I should be looking at to fix this? 

11 hours ago, Dimondminer11 said:

Honestly a 9700k would make some difference but I'd really say not that much. Overclocking your 1080 and the 9600k would give maybe even a bigger bump than just upgrading to the 9700k (unless your CPU cooler is crap of course)

I don't have an OC motherboard, unfortunately, and I have an ITX build so I don't know if I'm comfortable with OCing, especially since I don't really know what I'm doing.

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/12/2021 at 2:53 PM, Sonefiler said:

To be clear, this only really happens on maps like Nuke or Vertigo, laggier maps, when I'm doing stuff like watching twitch streams at the same time on my second monitor, and especially when I'm next to a smoke. But, if this is still unusual, do you have any advice on what I should be looking at to fix this? 

I don't have an OC motherboard, unfortunately, and I have an ITX build so I don't know if I'm comfortable with OCing, especially since I don't really know what I'm doing.

Well that is unfortunate but OCing is actually quite painless and simple.