Best way to implement a business backup solution with a Synology NAS for Web Development

Hi all,

I am after some advice regarding setting up a backup NAS for my workflow. I am a web developer and use Dropbox for all of my Design assets and additional project assets so I am happy that they are backed up sufficiently, however when developing locally I can't use Dropbox for projects due to the sheer quantity of files - millions (the Dropbox index kept failing and would take days to re-index).

I have an older Synology NAS (DS213j) with 2x 3tb WD reds in it, set to mirror. Up until recently I was using a Mac as my primary machine, with TimeMachine backing up to the NAS, however I wasn't totally happy with this as the only method. I also backed up just the parent folder for all of my local dev and wordpress installs to a different partition on the NAS using Resilio Sync. That single folder was also then backed up from the NAS to the cloud using Synology C2 storage (this folder is the most important to backup). The local development folders on my computer probably only total around 60GB, but contain millions of files.

I am now on Windows and I am trying to find the best method of backup. Ideally I would setup the NAS to auto backup any changes, and then also backup to cloud. I would also like to use it for storage as I record the odd youtube video.

What would people recommend for backup here? Is mirroring the drives in the NAS necessary considering that would give me the original, backup, backup redundancy and then cloud too? Is that excessive?

Has anyone got experience with the Synology Drive Client software and can recommend, or would you stick with Resilio sync? Ideally it would have versioning of files too.

FYI I own all of my software legitimately, so I'm not bothered about backing up the system, just my work files.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks

Dan W