I have an old Gateway DX4870 computer that I'm trying to upgrade to make a low budget gaming computer. Like nothing intense. Heck, the main game wanting to be ran is Gold Rush on it.

It has a Intel i3-2130 which I'm pretty much fine with, unless a cheap alternative is better in some form of an i5 processor that works with the motherboard.

Then I would need a dedicated gpu. I was thinking something along the lines of a 1050, 1060, 1070, etc. But I've always struggled trying to understand compatibility. Would it even work??

And I think the biggest thing I'll have to do is get a new psu since this one is rated for 300w and I don't think that would be enough, right??? Like the 1080 is an average 200TDP, and that alone they say like you should allocate like 50% additional wattage, so right there is 300w in the GPU alone.

Basically I'm just trying to maximize potential here with what I already have?

12 minutes ago, MrSilverFox said:

I have an old Gateway DX4870 computer that I'm trying to upgrade to make a low budget gaming computer. Like nothing intense. Heck, the main game wanting to be ran is Gold Rush on it.

It has a Intel i3-2130 which I'm pretty much fine with, unless a cheap alternative is better in some form of an i5 processor that works with the motherboard.

Then I would need a dedicated gpu. I was thinking something along the lines of a 1050, 1060, 1070, etc. But I've always struggled trying to understand compatibility. Would it even work??

And I think the biggest thing I'll have to do is get a new psu since this one is rated for 300w and I don't think that would be enough, right??? Like the 1080 is an average 200TDP, and that alone they say like you should allocate like 50% additional wattage, so right there is 300w in the GPU alone.

Basically I'm just trying to maximize potential here with what I already have?

Honestly I'd go for a 1050ti. Should do what you want to do fine, meets your constraints, and should be pretty cheap (A decent used one, at least when the GPU market calms down should be Less than $75 or so). 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

19 hours ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Honestly I'd go for a 1050ti. Should do what you want to do fine, meets your constraints, and should be pretty cheap (A decent used one, at least when the GPU market calms down should be Less than $75 or so). 

Hmm. Looking at it, the 1050ti would probably pull off what I need without even needing a PSU upgrade. Tbh, I'll probably try and grab one of those if I can find one for about that price point. Slap a cheap SSD in this bad boy and call it a day lol. 

Thank you.