GPU Fan troubleshooting

EMacree

I recently sold a GTX 980 (EVGA ACX 2.0 FTW) to someone on the used market. It was working fine when I sold it.

He installed it on his system and complained to me that it was overheating.

He returned it to me and now when I put it in my system the fans don't spin. Well.. one of of them sort of rocks back and forth while the other is stationary..

Basically I am on the hook to either give him his money back or fix it.

What are the odds that just replacing the stock fans will fix the issue?

What could have caused this? It seems to me that they are no longer getting the correct voltage to spin properly.

I have already tried reconnecting the fan header to the fans, there seems to be no issue here. 

I also took the fans off  and applied a bit of oil to the bearings, even though there was no sign of stiffness or difficulty spinning them manually.

I would appreciate any help!

Cheers

If you have a multimeter check the voltage from the fan header. I personally test and record a video of anything I sell before selling, I had a similiar thing happen and buyer bricked the motherboard on his own (altough I had tools and knowledge to repair it, I declined to work on the card for free). Also check the BIOS of the card, make sure it matches to the cards own bios.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

The bios version is correct. 

It will be tricky to measure the voltage across these pins when it is plugged in, the layout is such that it is inaccessibly close to the motherboard. But I'll give it a try. It's probably supposed to be an integral 5 or 12V?

If it's not then I suppose that means the card is pretty much scrap?

I'll definitely be more diligent in keeping proof that what I sell is working in the future. 

Thanks for the quick reply.

Honestly if you are 100% sure the card was working before you sold it and you basically got scammed...

I'd just wire the fans directly to 12v and give it back, you probably never promised it is going to be quiet anyway :D