Mid-build standoffs question

harrisonjr98

hello all, building a new machine with a cooler master n200 case. Been building for around a decade and never seen this before- The case came with two pre-installed standoffs, and the rest in a bag for you to install based on your mobo form factor, pretty standard stuff. The weird part is, the pre-installed standoffs are slightly different. They appear to extend further at the top and are threaded slightly longer for whatever reason. I attached two pictures, one of the location where the two pre-installed standoffs were before I removed them, and another comparing one of the pre-installed standoffs to one of the bags standoffs. Any advice? my thinking is that a slightly longer ones are just to help position the motherboard, with the taller part at the top helping keep it firmly in place once it’s lined up. No idea why they’d be threaded different length though, that’s really what’s stopping me here.

https://imgur.com/a/98t6mSb

i also noticed that one of the screw holes on the mobo side had exposed copper, looks to be from a previous builder tightening the screw too far. Is that anything to worry about? Should I leave that screw out?

https://imgur.com/a/uuzqxLq

you can see a normal mobo hole on the right side for comparison.

48 minutes ago, harrisonjr98 said:

i also noticed that one of the screw holes on the mobo side had exposed copper, looks to be from a previous builder tightening the screw too far. Is that anything to worry about? Should I leave that screw out?

https://imgur.com/a/uuzqxLq

idk about the standoff, but from this pic it seems like you're using the wrong screw, that looks like a PSU screw (hexagonal top is mostly PSU screw, with teeth at the bottom of the top)

does the casing come with a manual?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

3 hours ago, Moonzy said:

idk about the standoff, but from this pic it seems like you're using the wrong screw, that looks like a PSU screw (hexagonal top is mostly PSU screw, with teeth at the bottom of the top)

Looks like my standoff screws kinda...

edit: wait... not true! you're right,  sorry ,those look indeed like PSU screws... oof.  Well I wouldn't use those then... 😬

20210306_230924.thumb.jpg.5c3318c763210ba8440ba3de556ffdfa.jpg

What I'm noticing a lot of people don't seem to use the washers ,which aren't really optional... (precisely to avoid damage and the screws also just fit more tightly)

That said I have no idea what's going on,  maybe the case and mobo are used... in which case a manual would definitely help to fact check the parts. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

12 hours ago, Moonzy said:

Funny enough that was my first thought too when reading the manual- they sure as hell look like PSU screws, but it seems they’re the mobo screws. Ironically, the circular smooth screws that look like mobo screws are for the drive mounts! I think it must just be one of the quirks of having a cheap case. See these pics of the manual- first where it shows what screw to use for the mobo, then to the screw key and finally a zoomed in pic- it seems the mobo screws are hexagonal for sure!

https://imgur.com/a/IZSEFzz

9 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Looks like my standoff screws kinda...

edit: wait... not true! you're right,  sorry ,those look indeed like PSU screws... oof.  Well I wouldn't use those then... 😬

20210306_230924.thumb.jpg.5c3318c763210ba8440ba3de556ffdfa.jpg

What I'm noticing a lot of people don't seem to use the washers ,which aren't really optional... (precisely to avoid damage and the screws also just fit more tightly)

That said I have no idea what's going on,  maybe the case and mobo are used... in which case a manual would definitely help to fact check the parts. 

Sadly, most cheaper cases don't come with the washers. You're right though, the washers are a godsend. This build that I'm working on is for a local media server, so I didn't splurge on flashiness 😛