Keyboard switches

poppasilk

What are the quiestest switches whether it be cherry, kailh (box, speed) and gatreon. Thanks

Rubber domes.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

7 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Rubber domes.

I have a full mechanical that's quieter than most rubber dome keyboards and it's not even using silenced switches. 

@poppasilk

They make silent switches (switches with bits of rubber inside to dampen out the sound of the slider impacting the switch housing) like Zilents, Silent Gateron Inks, or MX Silents.  However that's only part of the story. Everything effects the sound: plate material, case material, dampening material inside the case or between the plate and PCB, type of keycaps, whether our not the springs are lubed, whether or not the stems are lubed, and above all else lubed stabilizers.   

A board with all the treatments listed above with normal switches will likely be quieter than a board with silent switches but none of the treatments. Of course if your goal is absolute quietest you'll want both. 

5 minutes ago, geo3 said:

I have a full mechanical that's quieter than most rubber dome keyboards and it's not even using silenced switches. 

@poppasilk

They make silent switches (switches with bits of rubber inside to dampen out the sound of the slider impacting the switch housing) like Zilents, Silent Gateron Inks, or MX Silents.  However that's only part of the story. Everything effects the sound: plate material, case material, dampening material inside the case or between the plate and PCB, type of keycaps, whether our not the springs are lubed, whether or not the stems are lubed, and above all else lubed stabilizers.   

A board with all the treatments listed above with normal switches will likely be quieter than a board with silent switches but none of the treatments. Of course if your goal is absolute quietest you'll want both. 

OP said switches, not keyboard. A good chassis can make a mech board quiet and a cheap chassis can make a dome board loud (and vice versa), but as far as the switches themselves go, domes tend to be quieter.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

quietest switches I have are the kailh silent box brown

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD