Black screen/crash? GPU?

skrip

Hi all,

My computer's been crashing randomly this past week. It happens when I'm doing almost anything--the screen will turn black, sound will eventually freeze, then the comp will either restart itself or I need to restart it. It's done this exact crash in both Windows 10 and Linux Mint. Win10 didn't leave any log of the crash (other than "the previous shutdown was unexpected"), but Linux Mint's syslog showed me this:

Mar  2 08:27:10 snowcat kernel: [  437.722168] [drm:amdgpu_dm_commit_planes.constprop.0 [amdgpu]] *ERROR* Waiting for fences timed out!

Mar  2 08:27:10 snowcat kernel: [  443.354779] [drm:amdgpu_job_timedout [amdgpu]] *ERROR* ring gfx_0.0.0 timeout, signaled seq=4543, emitted seq=4545
Mar  2 08:27:10 snowcat kernel: [  443.354847] [drm:amdgpu_job_timedout [amdgpu]] *ERROR* Process information: process cinnamon pid 1344 thread cinnamon:cs0 pid 1349
Mar  2 08:27:10 snowcat kernel: [  443.354850] [drm] GPU recovery disabled.

I tried uninstalling/reinstalling drivers on both OSes and no change. The crash happens when the card is under load and when the card is doing almost nothing at all (web browsing, spotify, etc)

Anyone have a clue what the cause could be? The GPU is a Sapphire Nitro+ RX 5700 XT and I've had it (and the whole desktop) for four months. Other relevant parts: Ryzen 5 3600, Asrock B550 Phantom Gaming 4, and an EVGA B5 650W PSU.

EDIT: The crash also happened during Windows Memory Diagnostic (which runs outside of Windows!) I also tried a different monitor and a different display cable (HDMI instead of DP)
Edited by skrip

13 minutes ago, skrip said:

Hi all,

My computer's been crashing randomly this past week. It happens when I'm doing almost anything--the screen will turn black, sound will eventually freeze, then the comp will either restart itself or I need to restart it. It's done this exact crash in both Windows 10 and Linux Mint. Win10 didn't leave any log of the crash (other than "the previous shutdown was unexpected"), but Linux Mint's syslog showed me this:

Mar  2 08:27:10 snowcat kernel: [  437.722168] [drm:amdgpu_dm_commit_planes.constprop.0 [amdgpu]] *ERROR* Waiting for fences timed out!

Mar  2 08:27:10 snowcat kernel: [  443.354779] [drm:amdgpu_job_timedout [amdgpu]] *ERROR* ring gfx_0.0.0 timeout, signaled seq=4543, emitted seq=4545
Mar  2 08:27:10 snowcat kernel: [  443.354847] [drm:amdgpu_job_timedout [amdgpu]] *ERROR* Process information: process cinnamon pid 1344 thread cinnamon:cs0 pid 1349
Mar  2 08:27:10 snowcat kernel: [  443.354850] [drm] GPU recovery disabled.

I tried uninstalling/reinstalling drivers on both OSes and no change. The crash happens when the card is under load and when the card is doing almost nothing at all (web browsing, spotify, etc)

Anyone have a clue what the cause could be? The GPU is a Sapphire Nitro+ RX 5700 XT and I've had it (and the whole desktop) for four months. Other relevant parts: Ryzen 5 3600, Asrock B550 Phantom Gaming 4, and an EVGA B5 650W PSU.

EDIT: The crash also happened during Windows Memory Diagnostic (which runs outside of Windows!) I also tried a different monitor and a different display cable (HDMI instead of DP)

I dont feel like this is the GPU at fault. (Its also pretty uncommon for GPU's being at fault). Do you have a spare PSU that you can test the system with? Also, you didnt include your RAM.. please do.

hi, im renata bliss and am ur freestyle dance teacher

23 minutes ago, 1ppOverheat said:

I dont feel like this is the GPU at fault. (Its also pretty uncommon for GPU's being at fault). Do you have a spare PSU that you can test the system with? Also, you didnt include your RAM.. please do.

Unfortunately, no spare PSU to test with. My RAM is: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16

Edit: Full parts list~

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor                     
be quiet! Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler                         
ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX AM4      
Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5"
Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB NITRO+
Corsair 275R Airflow ATX Mid Tower                
EVGA B5 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Update -- I removed the graphics card, then reconnected it. I've run 3 hours of stress tests and no crashes so far. Maybe there was just a loose connection? But why would it get loose NOW four months after the build? Weird!

49 minutes ago, skrip said:

Update -- I removed the graphics card, then reconnected it. I've run 3 hours of stress tests and no crashes so far. Maybe there was just a loose connection? But why would it get loose NOW four months after the build? Weird!

Oh right... i mean. i sometimes accidentally kick my pc a little.. do you remember accidentally kicking your pc before?

2 hours ago, 1ppOverheat said:

Oh right... i mean. i sometimes accidentally kick my pc a little.. do you remember accidentally kicking your pc before?

i also forgot to mention that i fking love thighs, male or female doesnt matter