Do I need a new PSU ?

Chevrotte

Hello,

In the past few months, I've had sporadic issues with booting up my PC, like once every couple of months. Clearing the CMOS battery always did the trick.

However this morning when my PC didn't boot, clearing the CMOS was not enough. I thought it was probably time to replace it but I heard an electricity-type noise when trying to remove it, so decided to try booting again. It worked.

A few hours later, my PC hard crashed (no freezes, nothing, it just turned off) when opening a couple of "heavy" tabs on chrome. I had to give it a slight nudge again for it to restart. A bit of googling tells me the CMOS battery shouldn't be responsible for shutdowns and it's probably a PSU issue. I guess I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything obvious before I go and buy a new 550W+ one.

- MSI H110M PRO-VD Motherboard
- COOLER MASTER MASTERWATT LITE 500 (500W, 230V) PSU

- GTX 1050Ti GPU

- i5-7500 CPU

- 2* CORSAIR DDR4 8GB RAM

I would replace it or see if you can borrow another persons to make sure its the issue and not some other component. A bad PSU can ruin your stuff so I would be careful with this one. (Me personally I would just get a new one)

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

How old is the PSU? if more than 3 years, it's okay to buy a new one, even if it's not the problem.

If less, you can send it back for replacement.

This time you buy a better quality that that one.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

with things like these you don't play.

I had an old pc crash and do all sorts of weird things because of a blown up psu.

You should really look into getting a NEW decent PSU.

PSU celebrated its third birthday a few months ago. Don't really have anyone I can borrow a PSU from, so it looks like it's time for me to get a new one and see how it goes. Thank you very much for the replies, guys !