IS it my CPU or Motherboard that's dead?

I have a question, I'm not sure if either its my motherboard or CPU that died. It doesn't turn on at all except for a flicker when the CPU is seated but with no CPU in at all it at least turns on giving me the light that there's a CPU error. Is that a good sign that it's the motherboard dead and not the CPU when I don't have a replacement for either? The CPU in question is a 10850k

On the flip side with my current placeholder build, a 2080ti and G4400, it's practically unusable with the cpu usage at 100% no matter what. Is that supposed to be that bad of a bottleneck for the 2080ti or is this another issue?

3 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

Make and model of the motherboard?

MPG-Z490-GAMING-PLUS

3 minutes ago, BillyGoat1776 said:

Not gonna lie...this could be any combination of a million different things....

@--SID-- I'm with you....gonna dig around a bit and see if anyone else has this issue on this system board....

First thoughts I had when I read this post were thermals (did it run hot?)...and power (what PSU is in this system?)

~Billy G.

Not at all that I saw, I have an h100i on it and that thing runs like a dream.

Got a Thermaltake PSU at 750w https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1047926-REG/thermaltake_ps_tpd_0750mpcgus_1_toughpower_750w_80_plus.html

5 minutes ago, BillyGoat1776 said:

@Radageine check out this reddit post:

This makes me wonder what boards are affected by stock voltages being too high on z490 boards because I ordered a MSI Z490-A PRO to arrive today.

1 minute ago, BillyGoat1776 said:

Okay....not judging....but I have had BAD experiences with Thermaltake products....your experience my vary.  The cooler sounds fine.

I'm really leaning toward this being a power issue.  Do you happen to have another PSU you can try?

Yeah, an Antec Earthwatts 750w

I have the Thermaltake in my current build with the g4400 and it's been fine so far.

6 minutes ago, BillyGoat1776 said:

Yeah...I was just checking reviews and test results for that PSU and so far....nothing to report.....you may have already tried this, but, what about resetting the BIOS defaults?

I would still try another PSU....just to rule that out.

I did try the other PSU, same issue with both. I'm reading and looking at this issue with the z490 default voltages being too high and haven't found anything on exactly how to fix it. I don't wanna fuck anything up.

EDIT: Looks like I'll just have to disable MCE on the new mobo? Anyone else can chime in on this specifically?

Edited by Radageine

19 minutes ago, BillyGoat1776 said:

Agreed....I don't want that either 😄

Well...it's not the PSU....so that's good.  BIOS defaults are usually set to 'safe' values for a broad range of hardware.

Would be great if you could test that CPU on another system board to see if it posts.

If not, BIOS reset is next logical step (check all connections in the system too....remove and reinstall the memory modules....same for any expansion cards...check all power connections....etc.)

It very well could be the motherboard.....but I don't want to just assume that.  I would be surprised if it is the CPU (unless it overheated or received excessive voltage....which you said you had no indication of while it was working)

I tried a bios reset via cmos reset but no luck.