FreeSync not working.

dumbfvckvirgo
Go to solution Solved by GuiltySpark_,

If you go above the maximum refresh rate of the display, the VRR tech you're using (FreeSync or GSync) will stop working. Nature of the beast. It can't increase your refresh rate past 75Hz in your case to match your framerate.

To use a VRR display properly, you'll want to limit your games framerate to 1-2FPS under your displays maximum refresh rate. 

Cheaper monitors with Freesync have very narrow ranges. That model only offers Freesync between 48 and 75FPS. 

https://www.displayninja.com/acer-kg271-review/

First of all, specs:

Monitor: Acer KG1 (75Hz) KG271 - Tech Specs | Monitors | Acer United Kingdom

GPU: Sapphire RX 470 Radeon™ RX 470 Graphics Cards for Desktop | AMD

Processor: Ryzen 3600

Hello everyone :), I've been having some issues with freesync and was hoping to get some help. 

Freesync is supposed to be an anti-tearing solution to v-sync, however, with it enabled I am still getting tearing, of course when I enable v-sync in game my gpu utilisation and fps both go down. Freesync is great at smoothing games where I have a framerate lower than 75, but as soon as it goes over its back to tearing.

I have a feeling its to do with the fact I'm using an HDMI connection, however the monitor does not have any DisplayPort ports and Radeon Software allows me to enable Freesync anyway.

I have tried fixing it with some online solutions such as:

• Limiting framerate to 99 or 72.
  • Turning on enhanced sync.
  • Disabling the 'AMD External Events Utility' service.
  • Manually enabling the Freesync and Enhanced Sync options in the game profiles in Radeon Software.
  • Freesync works in the windmill demo.. but that only runs at 60fps.

I really appreciate if anyone has a solution to my problem :).

-dumbfvckvirgo

If you go above the maximum refresh rate of the display, the VRR tech you're using (FreeSync or GSync) will stop working. Nature of the beast. It can't increase your refresh rate past 75Hz in your case to match your framerate.

To use a VRR display properly, you'll want to limit your games framerate to 1-2FPS under your displays maximum refresh rate. 

Cheaper monitors with Freesync have very narrow ranges. That model only offers Freesync between 48 and 75FPS. 

6 minutes ago, rickeo said:

Thank you for helping me 🙂

• 2 years later...
On 2/26/2021 at 4:41 PM, GuiltySpark_ said:

using vsync should automatically limit your framerate within vrr range without an additional fps limit. Somehow I stumbled upon this while troubleshooting somethign so I am correcting it here.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.