PC crashes while mining

TechJezus

I'm having trouble where my pc is crashing after 10-120 minutes of mining ethereum with Nicehash miner. I have tried changing all the recommended windows settings, and I have a clean install of windows with all the latest drivers.

In windows event log, I get code 41 Kernel-power critical. 

The weird thing is that the system seems completely stable while benchmarking and gaming. 

The GPU sits at 40 degrees on the core, and the VRAM is at 60 degrees while mining, so there shouldn't be a thermal issue. 

I'm starting to think it's my PSU, because it ramps up it fan really loud while mining, and the power draw shouldn't be enough for that to happen? (380W total system power draw while mining)

This is a new build, with a brand new PSU, so dust is not the problem. The PSU has plenty of access to fresh air. 

Have anyone here experienced this problem? 

System specs: 

X570 Dark Hero

AMD 5800X

Msi suprim x rtx 3090 

G.Skill 3800Mhz CL14

Seasonic Prime platinum 1300W 

how are you measuring the VRAM temps? AFAIK, EVGA is the only company that has sensors on there PCBs that measure the VRAM temps. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

18 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

how are you measuring the VRAM temps? AFAIK, EVGA is the only company that has sensors on there PCBs that measure the VRAM temps. 

I monitor Vram temp with Hwinfo

4 minutes ago, Avanta8 said:

Your GPU isn't mining correctly if it's only 40C.

The gpu and backplate is watercooled

1 minute ago, TechJezus said:

The gpu and backplate is watercooled

Ah I see.

Does it only crash when mining? If you ran a GPU and CPU stress test for a few hours, would it crash?

2 minutes ago, Avanta8 said:

Ah I see.

Does it only crash when mining? If you ran a GPU and CPU stress test for a few hours, would it crash?

I have played games for 4-6 hours many times with no crashes. I ran heaven for 4 hours with no crashes, I also ran Time spy extreme for 2 hours with no crash.

I really cant seem to figur out what the problem is. Is a 380W static load on the psu harder than 600W dynamic load? 

Just now, TechJezus said:

I have played games for 4-6 hours many times with no crashes. I ran heaven for 4 hours with no crashes, I also ran Time spy extreme for 2 hours with no crash.

I really cant seem to figur out what the problem is. Is a 380W static load on the psu harder than 600W dynamic load? 

Then there's most likely an issue with Nicehash. Why not just direct mine to a pool anyway? It's both easier, and you'll get more profit.

12 minutes ago, Avanta8 said:

Then there's most likely an issue with Nicehash. Why not just direct mine to a pool anyway? It's both easier, and you'll get more profit.

I'm completely new to mining, and Nicehash seemed like an easy alternative. I will look into your suggestion. Thank you.