Scratched mobo

Huskarll

http://imgur.com/gallery/g3IojR8 

I changed pc case today and managed to scratch the motherboard when fitting it in. 

The PC boots fine but I can't connect to the internet, it tells me that the Realtek PCIe family adapter isn't connected to the pc.

The scratch is near the port for the ethernet cable so I'm worried this is why, I've tried resettinf the network settings but nothing's worked.

Does this look deep enough to be causing the issue? If so, can I solder it or do I need a new mobo

Looks like it crosses multiple traces. Hard to tell how deep it is from just that picture, but looks like it's plausible it's cases enough damage to stop working. Maybe you can post a clearer close-up of the scratch?

You won't be able to realistically fix it. You'd be better off buying an inexpensive PCIe networking card, provided the network port is the only thing that's not working as a result.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

3 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

Looks like it crosses multiple traces. Hard to tell how deep it is from just that picture, but looks like it's plausible it's cases enough damage to stop working. Maybe you can post a clearer close-up of the scratch?

You won't be able to realistically fix it. You'd be better off buying an inexpensive PCIe networking card, provided the network port is the only thing that's not working as a result.

http://imgur.com/gallery/OAWZe3W

Here's a closer picture, how would I fit a PCIe networking card? I've never used one before 

it looks like you may have nicked one trace.. but if i'm not mistaken, that looks like something part of the audio circuitry.. 

as for if this is repariable.. that depends on your skill. if you're handy and have a soldering station with a very fine tip, it's a pretty easy fix. i've done it before, and it's doable. but if you're not patient, not a skilled tinkerer, or lack the equipment.. it's HELL...

6 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

You won't be able to realistically fix it.

a surface cut like this is EZ mode in terms of repair.. there arent even many components in the way.

13 minutes ago, manikyath said:

a surface cut like this is EZ mode in terms of repair.. there arent even many components in the way.

Totally fair. I assume most people don't have the tools and skills for this without major risk of damaging surrounding stuff. @HuskarllIf that's not the case then as far as traces are considered I agree this seems like the easiest scenario to fix.

16 minutes ago, Huskarll said:

how would I fit a PCIe networking card?

They typically slot into the same area on the motherboard as a graphics cards, but use the shorter slots (which are x1 PCIe) instead of the longer x16 slots a GPU uses. You CAN install them in the larger x16 slot but it's a waste of an x16 slot.

Here's a pic from an earlier iteration of my personal build showing how a network card would install. This is a wifi card, but the principle is the same for a wired network card too. Example card

image.thumb.png.d718d2f4e51b37038637de82c76262a0.png

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

15 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

Totally fair. I assume most people don't have the tools and skills for this without major risk of damaging surrounding stuff. @HuskarllIf that's not the case then as far as traces are considered I agree this seems like the easiest scenario to fix.

They typically slot into the same area on the motherboard as a graphics cards, but use the shorter slots (which are x1 PCIe) instead of the longer x16 slots a GPU uses. You CAN install them in the larger x16 slot but it's a waste of an x16 slot.

Here's a pic from an earlier iteration of my personal build showing how a network card would install. This is a wifi card, but the principle is the same for a wired network card too. Example card

image.thumb.png.d718d2f4e51b37038637de82c76262a0.png

I'll be honest, that was a stupid question on my part haha, I'll try one of those first, thank you