Primary Linux users, what made you switch?

light-v

I don't have compatibility issues. All my hardware works perfectly under Linux, and all the programs I use and games I play run great.

I switched because I had been dual booting for a while and Windows killed itself during an update. Decided I was tired of deal with shit like that and just nuked that drive and switched to Linux. Never looked back. The only thing I wish didn't suck was Discord, especially streaming/screen sharing in calls, but that's more of an issue of lazy Discord Linux devs than it is Linux itself (OBS streaming to Youtube/Twitch works fine, for example).

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I don't have compatibility issues. All my hardware works perfectly under Linux, and all the programs I use and games I play run great.

I switched because I had been dual booting for a while and Windows killed itself during an update. Decided I was tired of deal with shit like that and just nuked that drive and switched to Linux. Never looked back. The only thing I wish didn't suck was Discord, especially streaming/screen sharing in calls, but that's more of an issue of lazy Discord Linux devs than it is Linux itself (OBS streaming to Youtube/Twitch works fine, for example).

My experience with Arch has been pretty seamless too I'm currently dual booting with Windows as well but I haven't had to in weeks at this point.

Your issue with Discord is surprising to me because I haven't had any issues streaming with it beside having both screens show up when I only selected one (but I'm sure I can fix it) 

What I love with Linux is most issues can be fixed or worked around fairly easily 

19 minutes ago, light-v said:

Your issue with Discord is surprising to me because I haven't had any issues streaming with it beside having both screens show up when I only selected one (but I'm sure I can fix it) 

The official Discord app cannot stream audio nor is it hardware accelerated, so whatever you are streaming will chug. I've found on recent versions of Discord it's also incredibly unstable; it'll randomly crash Discord and sign me out. Maybe not a problem with the browser version? idk

20 minutes ago, light-v said:

What I love with Linux is most issues can be fixed or worked around fairly easily

Depends on the issue, but for the most part I'd say yes. Having proper logging for everything really helps.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

honestly, I switched as I could no longer run windows on one of my computers, windows telemetry and other crap bogged it down so much the cpu was pinned at 100% indefinitely. I put linux on it,  (a light distro) and it runs just fine as a picture storage/phone backup system

please tag me for a response, It's really hard to keep tabs on every thread I reply to. thanks!!

ms decided that buying a new motherboard meant forking over another $100 and I decided their monopoly on home computing is bullshit. I did a bit of reading after that that and decided i'm going to stay away from propietary software to the extent that I am able

Chopra & Dexter.pdf

I started using Linux instead of Windows because I was in my early teens and software was free. In the past, proprietary document/spreadsheet file formats were a bit of a compatibility issue. Nowadays I just don't buy software that doesn't run natively on Linux.

---

Cheers

I came for the coolness of alternative operating systems, stayed for the privacy and benefits of free and open source software. Not to mention Debian is far more stable and easier to manage than any Windows OS could ever dream to be.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

• 2 weeks later...

I've never used Windows or MacOS as my daily computing OS. So... I really dont see a point in running Windows.

On 3/10/2021 at 7:25 PM, 10leej said:

I've never used Windows or MacOS as my daily computing OS. So... I really dont see a point in running Windows.

Where you one of those families that had that one RHEL certified guy that made everyone else use Linux?

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

5 hours ago, LloydLynx said:

Where you one of those families that had that one RHEL certified guy that made everyone else use Linux?

Nope, a rural area resident who didn't own a computer until 2006 when we had a friend who "knew about computers" sell us one that he installed SUSElinux on. We quite literally didn't know any better at the time.

If you need more clarification (because this usually happens) our nearest neighbor was 10 miles down a dirt road and that area still doesn't have internet service outside of satellite and dial up phone in 2021.