Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Primary Linux users, what made you switch?

I don't have compatibility issues. All my hardware works perfectly under Linux, and all the programs I use and games I play run great.

I switched because I had been dual booting for a while and Windows killed itself during an update. Decided I was tired of deal with shit like that and just nuked that drive and switched to Linux. Never looked back. The only thing I wish didn't suck was Discord, especially streaming/screen sharing in calls, but that's more of an issue of lazy Discord Linux devs than it is Linux itself (OBS streaming to Youtube/Twitch works fine, for example).

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4.2GHz @ 1.35V (courtesy of @XR6)Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 6x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X GPU: Asus RX 570 Strix Storage: WD Blue 1TB and a 128GB Kingston UV400 PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: H100i V2, be quiet! Pure Wings 2 (two intake, two exhausting through radiator) Monitor: 3x Dell P2210 on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: It changes, but usually Focus FK-9000 Mousepad: Steelseries QcK XL Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Fiio FH1S

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I don't have compatibility issues. All my hardware works perfectly under Linux, and all the programs I use and games I play run great.

I switched because I had been dual booting for a while and Windows killed itself during an update. Decided I was tired of deal with shit like that and just nuked that drive and switched to Linux. Never looked back. The only thing I wish didn't suck was Discord, especially streaming/screen sharing in calls, but that's more of an issue of lazy Discord Linux devs than it is Linux itself (OBS streaming to Youtube/Twitch works fine, for example).

My experience with Arch has been pretty seamless too I'm currently dual booting with Windows as well but I haven't had to in weeks at this point.

Your issue with Discord is surprising to me because I haven't had any issues streaming with it beside having both screens show up when I only selected one (but I'm sure I can fix it) 

What I love with Linux is most issues can be fixed or worked around fairly easily 

19 minutes ago, light-v said:

Your issue with Discord is surprising to me because I haven't had any issues streaming with it beside having both screens show up when I only selected one (but I'm sure I can fix it) 

The official Discord app cannot stream audio nor is it hardware accelerated, so whatever you are streaming will chug. I've found on recent versions of Discord it's also incredibly unstable; it'll randomly crash Discord and sign me out. Maybe not a problem with the browser version? idk

20 minutes ago, light-v said:

What I love with Linux is most issues can be fixed or worked around fairly easily

Depends on the issue, but for the most part I'd say yes. Having proper logging for everything really helps.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4.2GHz @ 1.35V (courtesy of @XR6)Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 6x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X GPU: Asus RX 570 Strix Storage: WD Blue 1TB and a 128GB Kingston UV400 PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: H100i V2, be quiet! Pure Wings 2 (two intake, two exhausting through radiator) Monitor: 3x Dell P2210 on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: It changes, but usually Focus FK-9000 Mousepad: Steelseries QcK XL Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Fiio FH1S

🏳️‍🌈

honestly, I switched as I could no longer run windows on one of my computers, windows telemetry and other crap bogged it down so much the cpu was pinned at 100% indefinitely. I put linux on it,  (a light distro) and it runs just fine as a picture storage/phone backup system

ms decided that buying a new motherboard meant forking over another $100 and I decided their monopoly on home computing is bullshit. I did a bit of reading after that that and decided i'm going to stay away from propietary software to the extent that I am able

Chopra & Dexter.pdf

I started using Linux instead of Windows because I was in my early teens and software was free. In the past, proprietary document/spreadsheet file formats were a bit of a compatibility issue. Nowadays I just don't buy software that doesn't run natively on Linux.

---

Cheers