Disable CPU cores on Phenom II X4 955 - higher clockspeeds and better performance?

Go to solution Solved by starry,
3 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

I'm seeing if I can run my MC server off of a 3D Rage II +DVD (because then I can sell my GTX 750), and I'm looking around in the BIOS to figure out what I have to set to make it enable PCI video devices.

I believe I found that (under Chipset config, then Internal Graphics, select the one that has PCI in it?)

I also found the Core Disabler tool.

Last I checked, the base Java MC application could use 1-2 cores.

My thought process is disable cores 3 and 4, boost the clocks a bit, and get better performance.

Is this smart or no?

Also, the Core Disabler tooltip says "You can disable cores you don't like, except for the 1st core."

Was able to do this on my FX-6300 for a single core bound game years ago. You have a different chip so your success may vary. Give it a try, good luck.

Was able to go from 4ghz to 4.5ghz by disabling some cores and lowering my heat output, but you might have better performance if you just upgrade your cooler. Judging by the fact that youre still running phenom CPU, im assuming that most upgrades are not an option for you tho.

I'm seeing if I can run my MC server off of a 3D Rage II +DVD (because then I can sell my GTX 750), and I'm looking around in the BIOS to figure out what I have to set to make it enable PCI video devices.

I believe I found that (under Chipset config, then Internal Graphics, select the one that has PCI in it?)

My thought process is disable cores 3 and 4, boost the clocks a bit, and get better performance.

Is this smart or no?

Also, the Core Disabler tooltip says "You can disable cores you don't like, except for the 1st core."

elephants

3 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Is this smart or no?

Was able to do this on my FX-6300 for a single core bound game years ago. You have a different chip so your success may vary. Give it a try, good luck.

Was able to go from 4ghz to 4.5ghz by disabling some cores and lowering my heat output, but you might have better performance if you just upgrade your cooler. Judging by the fact that youre still running phenom CPU, im assuming that most upgrades are not an option for you tho.

Daily Driver (Lenovo Y700 Laptop)

Manjaro Linux  ||||  Intel Core i7-6700HQ  ||||  16GB DDR4-2666    ||||   GeForce GTX 960m  

250GB Samsung 970 Evo | 500GB Samung 840 Evo 

Windows Gaming PC

Windows 10 Pro  |||   Intel Core i7-10700k  |||   32GB DDR4-3600  |||   GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER  |||   MSI z490 A-Pro  |||   EVGA Supernova G2 650w 80+ Gold

120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM

Bedroom HTPC and Emulation Box

Manjaro Linux  ||||   Intel Xeon E3-1231v3  ||||   8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon RX 460   |||  Asus B85M-G

120GB SSD

Living Room HTPC - Optiplex 790 SFF

Manjaro Linux  |||  Intel Core i5-2400  |||  8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon HD 5450

120GB SSD