PSU RMA question

Hwbe
In the process of transport two of the blades from the fan in my seasonic prime broke.
I sent it to the retailer to RMA it, it was working fine as it was, but I wanted to fix it.
I think they will service it and not replace the whole unit.
My question is: Should I test it beforehand in an another system, because I heard some horror stories and I’m not taking any risks of breaking my new rtx 3080 and 5900x

27 minutes ago, Hwbe said:
In the process of transport two of the blades from the fan in my seasonic prime broke.
I sent it to the retailer to RMA it, it was working fine as it was, but I wanted to fix it.
My question is: Should I test it beforehand in an another system, because I heard some horror stories and I’m not taking any risks of breaking my new rtx 3080 and 5900x

I wouldn't bother. Before something leaves the repair facility it is tested in order to make sure it works. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Physical damages are not covered in warranty but it highly depends on the staff working there and also on how you talk with them.

Most of the time they avoid repairing and replace the whole unit but, using a psu with 2 broken fan blades would eventually lead to lesser airflow and overheating of the inner components which isn't good in the long run.

5900x and 3080 ain't cheap and you shouldn't JUST think it will work well as apparently the PSU is the only thing which can save or screw up your components.

My advice, Don't risk it running as it is, get the fan replaced from the authorized service center or impress them and get a new one by being dumb and cute.

17 minutes ago, zerocool1431 said:

Physical damages are not covered in warranty but it highly depends on the staff working there and also on how you talk with them.

Most of the time they avoid repairing and replace the whole unit but, using a psu with 2 broken fan blades would eventually lead to lesser airflow and overheating of the inner components which isn't good in the long run.

5900x and 3080 ain't cheap and you shouldn't JUST think it will work well as apparently the PSU is the only thing which can save or screw up your components.

My advice, Don't risk it running as it is, get the fan replaced from the authorized service center or impress them and get a new one by being dumb and cute.

The PSU is already in the RMA process and it was working just fine with the 2 blades broken, it had the warranty sticker on, so I don’t see a reason why wouldn’t they fix it.

I was scared to stick right in the case in case something will fail. I still don’t know if they’ll replace it with a new one or just change the fan

5 minutes ago, Hwbe said:

The PSU is already in the RMA process and it was working just fine with the 2 blades broken, it had the warranty sticker on, so I don’t see a reason why wouldn’t they fix it.

I was scared to stick right in the case in case something will fail. I still don’t know if they’ll replace it with a new one or just change the fan

Call them up and ask them directly on how are they planning to fix it. They are bound to give you info about the work they are doing on your product.

4 hours ago, zerocool1431 said:

Call them up and ask them directly on how are they planning to fix it. They are bound to give you info about the work they are doing on your product.

Just got off the phone and they’ve refused the psu after 8 days

27 minutes ago, Hwbe said:

well, it ain't great news but at least you know that you have to look for other options.
If they aren't covering it in warranty, ask them if they can do a paid repair job.
I'm guessing they will not cover the psu for any other kind of damages further now as they will always point out to your fan and tell you that it was caused due to heat and that you've broke it.

If they aren't ready to repair it,
Best bet is to try and find a repair shop who can open it up and replace with another fan.

It won't cost more than 5-10USD where I live but that's your only option. My personal opinion is that never mess with a PSU unless you have loads of money lying around to buy new parts.
By the way, whats the wattage of your PSU?

11 hours ago, Hwbe said:

They don't repair PSUs.  They replace them.

Part of the safety certification requires that the PSU get Hi-Pot tested (using a specialty piece of equipment that pretty much no shops have) after being opened up.  If they open up a PSU, repair it, and hand it back to a customer, they are LITERALLY breaking the law.

6 hours ago, Hwbe said:

I'm confused.  DID YOU open the PSU to try to fix it yourself?

It's not clear in your post.  You said you wanted to.  Did you start then change your mind?

13 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

I'm confused.  DID YOU open the PSU to try to fix it yourself?

It's not clear in your post.  You said you wanted to.  Did you start then change your mind?

No, the warranty sticker was intact, I just sent it to the retailer service, which sent it to another authorized service. After 7 days in the authorized service I called them to ask what’s the status and they told me that they just got it back with after being declined by the authorized shop

11 hours ago, Hwbe said:

No, the warranty sticker was intact, I just sent it to the retailer service, which sent it to another authorized service. After 7 days in the authorized service I called them to ask what’s the status and they told me that they just got it back with after being declined by the authorized shop

And they didn't say why?

Are they sending it back to you?

Did you try contacting Seasonic directly?

What country are you in?

None of the companies will admit it's their unit fault.I remember problems I had with Asus motherboards,few of them.

If any of the PSU would damage any of your component and you are like 99,9999 sure it's PSU they will tell you it's your electricity in your house.

Unfortunatelly I don't live in America,we here don't have twice warranty like you,and we don't get replacement for product,they just repair it.

So owning expensive equipment like you,I'd get surge protector or really really high quality PSU.

Concerning it's PSU,you are lucky if you get new one,since here they even try to repair PSU which is silly.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

10 minutes ago, frozensun said:

None of the companies will admit it's their unit fault.I remember problems I had with Asus motherboards,few of them.

If any of the PSU would damage any of your component and you are like 99,9999 sure it's PSU they will tell you it's your electricity in your house.

Unfortunatelly I don't live in America,we here don't have twice warranty like you,and we don't get replacement for product,they just repair it.

So owning expensive equipment like you,I'd get surge protector or really really high quality PSU.

Concerning it's PSU,you are lucky if you get new one,since here they even try to repair PSU which is silly.

Is OP in Serbia?

Besides, if I remember correctly, Serbia has been part of the EU since 2009.  Which means you have EU Consumer Rights.

EU Consumer Rights are far superior to anything we have in the U.S.  In the EU, the seller has to take back defective product within two years of the purchase date.  In the U.S., the return period is completely up to the seller.  7 days?  2 weeks?  One month?  Up to whoever.

Don't apply to what has happened to you to what will happen to everyone else.  

We don't have Corsair nor EVGA nor Seasonic nor wtf.....so waranty period is only cover from shop where a device has been purchased.

And the shop usually sends the device to other shop in Hungary (EU) where the device is purchased and we wait for at lest a month to get repaired device.

SErbia is not in EU,my friend,sadly and if it was in EU it would still be the same procedure like I explained to you.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Yeah we have Asus but only for marketing....

And on paper,most of the shops write you that they are not responsable for any of the devices malfunctioning in waranty period,so either way we are screwed...

This specially includes the devices who damage often like cellphones,laptops,tablets etc...

and they are very good to hide their responsability trust me...

16 minutes ago, frozensun said:

We don't have Corsair nor EVGA nor Seasonic nor wtf.....so waranty period is only cover from shop where a device has been purchased.

And the shop usually sends the device to other shop in Hungary (EU) where the device is purchased and we wait for at lest a month to get repaired device.

SErbia is not in EU,my friend,sadly and if it was in EU it would still be the same procedure like I explained to you.

Ah... I thought Serbia was part of the EU and therefore subject to EU law.  

I'm always skeptical.  Just have gotten jaded over the years.

Example:  Amazon review:  "Corsair PSU SATA cable burst into flames and fried my SSD!  One star!  Stay away!  Sent back to Corsair, Corsair refused to warranty!"

Back story:  Customer sends PSU and fried SSD back to Corsair with.. wait for it.. set of cables from a Thermaltake PSU.  Asked customer if these were the cables used.  Answer was "yes.  Didn't want to have to re-route cables in case during upgrade."  Tested PSU.  PSU works flawlessly.  Told customer could not support damage to SSD because it was killed due to "user error".

Whenever I want to purchase IT device I look on amazon and save my self some money 😄

99,99% of time lot's of stupid negative reviews about the deviceand those negative reviews kill me and I don't buy a device.

So when you mentioned cables from PSU,they all look equal to me,so tell me what's the difference?

I see all CM,Seasonic,Corsair cables all flat and the same....so what is actually a difference?

Yes I understood you correctly but to fry a PSU you really must be an idiot...

28 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Whenever I want to purchase IT device I look on amazon and save my self some money 😄

99,99% of time lot's of stupid negative reviews about the deviceand those negative reviews kill me and I don't buy a device.

So when you mentioned cables from PSU,they all look equal to me,so tell me what's the difference?

I see all CM,Seasonic,Corsair cables all flat and the same....so what is actually a difference?

Yes I understood you correctly but to fry a PSU you really must be an idiot...

No.  You don't have to be an idiot.  The connectors that plug into the PSU itself may be the same type of connector, but the actual pinout from EVGA to Corsair to Seasonic to Thermaltake, etc. is actually different.  So if there's +12V where there's supposed to be +5V or there's +12V where there's supposed to be a ground... something like that, you WILL fry your hardware.

2 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

No.  You don't have to be an idiot.  The connectors that plug into the PSU itself may be the same type of connector, but the actual pinout from EVGA to Corsair to Seasonic to Thermaltake, etc. is actually different.  So if there's +12V where there's supposed to be +5V or there's +12V where there's supposed to be a ground... something like that, you WILL fry your hardware.

as if someone installs nVidia drivers for an AMD card...that reminds me on this...

yes,someone is an idiot pushing TT or CM cables onto Corsair PSU.

there are plite people here like you,ASK FIRST HERE BEFORE YOU DO SMTH SILLY.

If I don't forget,I will take Corsair EPS cable and lets say hmm Seasonic EPS cable and check the difference.

So the difference is in those connectors (pinout order on connector)?

40 minutes ago, frozensun said:

If I don't forget,I will take Corsair EPS cable and lets say hmm Seasonic EPS cable and check the difference.

So the difference is in those connectors (pinout order on connector)?

On the EPS cable, the pinout on the PSU side is 180° reversed.  So your +12V would go to ground and the ground would go to +12V.

19 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

And they didn't say why?

Are they sending it back to you?

Did you try contacting Seasonic directly?

What country are you in?

I’m from Romania, I can’t contact seasonic because they don’t have support here.

They’ve already sent it back to me, tomorrow it should arrive

They refused it because of the 2 broken blades, and it was stated as the RMA reason and an oxidized sata cable that I didn’t know of

I’m just going to take the PSU to the retailer and return it or replace it 

2 hours ago, Hwbe said:

I’m from Romania, I can’t contact seasonic because they don’t have support here.

They’ve already sent it back to me, tomorrow it should arrive

They refused it because of the 2 broken blades, and it was stated as the RMA reason and an oxidized sata cable that I didn’t know of

I’m just going to take the PSU to the retailer and return it or replace it 

I don't know of many companies that have support contacts in Romania.  They don't need to have a contact in Romania. 

For example: Corsair doesn't have a support person in Lithuania.  That doesn' mean a person in Lithuania can't have their product replaced by Corsair under warranty. 

You just contact Seasonic via email. They have one email box that handles all of Europe... Including Romania.