Power Draw Issues?

Leothechosen

Build:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5950x

CPU Cooler: Enermax ETS-T50 Axe

GPU: MSI GAMING X TRIO GeForce RTX 3090

Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)

Memory: 4x16 GSkill Trident Z RGB

Power Supply: Apevia 1000W 80+ Gold

Case: Thermaltake View 37

I got a new PC yesterday, and it had some thermal issuse. IT turns out there wasn't much thermal paste applied, and that the overclocking was too aggressive, so I reapplied the thermal paste and set the BIOS settings to stock. Twice now the PC crashed with no BSOD, similar to the thermal crashes it was experiencing before, however the computer would auto-restart itself. With the reports of 3090 spikes, combined with a 5950x and a power supply company i've never heard of, is this likely a power supply issue?

That seems like a definite possibility. Looking around online (and at posts from the PSU gurus on this forum), Apevia seems to be a cheap brand with a history of product failures. I'd sincerely doubt it's actually putting out 1000W, and the 3090's power spikes could be tripping overcurrent protection. I'd recommend you get an 850W unit from a more reputable brand, like the Corsair RMx (2018) 850W or EVGA SuperNOVA GA 850W.

And just for the future, when you're putting together a baller rig like that, never cheap out on the power supply. It's always going to be a recipe for tears and scorched PCBs. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

Yeah, I try to never cheap out on Power Supplies. I got the PC from Cyberpower, and their power supply options didn't mention a company. It was the 2nd most expensive option, 1st being a 1250W Modular Power Supply.

Just now, Leothechosen said:

Yeah, I try to never cheap out on Power Supplies. I got the PC from Cyberpower, and their power supply options didn't mention a company. It was the 2nd most expensive option, 1st being a 1250W Modular Power Supply.

Wait, seriously? Cyberpower sold you a rig with a PSU so crappy the system doesn't run properly? Geez, guess I'm gonna need to re-evaluate my opinion of them as a company. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

Just now, bellabichon said:

Wait, seriously? Cyberpower sold you a rig with a PSU so crappy the system doesn't run properly? Geez, guess I'm gonna need to re-evaluate my opinion of them as a company. 

I mean, I can't say for sure if it's the power supply, but it's my only guess after I fixed the thermals.

It's certainly random, as the two crashes were in Apex Legend's menu, but I was just able to play a full Apex game with no problem.

1 hour ago, Leothechosen said:

Build:

Reveal hidden contents

CPU: Ryzen 5950x

CPU Cooler: Enermax ETS-T50 Axe

GPU: MSI GAMING X TRIO GeForce RTX 3090

Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)

Memory: 4x16 GSkill Trident Z RGB

Power Supply: Apevia 1000W 80+ Gold

Case: Thermaltake View 37

I got a new PC yesterday, and it had some thermal issuse. IT turns out there wasn't much thermal paste applied, and that the overclocking was too aggressive, so I reapplied the thermal paste and set the BIOS settings to stock. Twice now the PC crashed with no BSOD, similar to the thermal crashes it was experiencing before, however the computer would auto-restart itself. With the reports of 3090 spikes, combined with a 5950x and a power supply company i've never heard of, is this likely a power supply issue?

Do you remember the BSOD error?

5 minutes ago, zerocool1431 said:

Do you remember the BSOD error?

There is no BSOD. PC just shuts off.

2 minutes ago, Leothechosen said:

There is no BSOD. PC just shuts off.

Sorry for the confusion, didn't read "no BSOD".

Do a benchmark stress test for the gpu with unigine heaven benchmark by setting it to the highest settings possible. And keep other things like 4-5 4k videos running on browser so that the gpu is maxed out.

Worst case scenario the psu will fail and pop a fuse, breaking the connection to the other components. (Highly unlikely)

If the problem does appear, You have your answer, it is a faulty psu, RMA it.
(I would also check this method with just one stick of ram, just to rule out the ram)

21 hours ago, bellabichon said:

That seems like a definite possibility. Looking around online (and at posts from the PSU gurus on this forum), Apevia seems to be a cheap brand with a history of product failures. I'd sincerely doubt it's actually putting out 1000W, and the 3090's power spikes could be tripping overcurrent protection. I'd recommend you get an 850W unit from a more reputable brand, like the Corsair RMx (2018) 850W or EVGA SuperNOVA GA 850W.

And just for the future, when you're putting together a baller rig like that, never cheap out on the power supply. It's always going to be a recipe for tears and scorched PCBs. 

So I got the Corsair RMx.

The PC still shut off in Apex. I don't know what to do at this point.

9 minutes ago, Leothechosen said:

So I got the Corsair RMx.

The PC still shut off in Apex. I don't know what to do at this point.

And temps are all still fine? Sounds like it's time to talk to Cyberpower. 

Main PC:

Peripherals/Other:

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

1 minute ago, bellabichon said:

Yep, temps look fine. Sent them an email last night, but I'll be calling them in the morning.

15 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

So I decided to look through Event Viewer to see if there was anything, and this appears to be something:

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Bus/Interconnect Error
Processor APIC ID: 22

The details view of this entry contains further information

It looks like every time I've had a shut off not related to thermals, this shows, including the latest crash post-PSU swap