What next?

MrConcrete04

Budget (including currency): As much as appropriately necessary

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for:

Day to day tasks, home schooling, but lots of gaming, 3D stuff in blender or CAD, multitasking and streaming (WarThunder and Minecraft)

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc):

CURRENT SET UP: i5 6500, MSI B150M PRO-VDH, 2*8 2133mHz Kingston HyperX Fury, EVGA GeForce GTX 1050Ti SSC 4GB, NH-D15S (recent upgrade), NZXT H510 (non-i, non Elite) (recent upgrade), 240GB 2.5" SSD (boot), 1TB 2.5" SSD (recent upgrade), 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD, Corsair VS550 (non-modular), I have a Samsung 32" 2560*1440 @144Hz monitor.

It has served me well but it is starting to show its age and cant handle much in 1440p let alone at 144fps... I don't know what to upgrade next cos GPUs are sold out and I cant decide what to get next...

Thank You

e.

5 minutes ago, MrConcrete04 said:

Day to day tasks, home schooling, but lots of gaming, 3D stuff in blender or CAD, multitasking and streaming (WarThunder and Minecraft)

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc):

CURRENT SET UP: i5 6500, MSI B150M PRO-VDH, 2*8 2133mHz Kingston HyperX Fury, EVGA GeForce GTX 1050Ti SSC 4GB, NH-D15S (recent upgrade), NZXT H510 (non-i, non Elite) (recent upgrade), 240GB 2.5" SSD (boot), 1TB 2.5" SSD (recent upgrade), 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD, Corsair VS550 (non-modular), I have a Samsung 32" 2560*1440 @144Hz monitor.

It has served me well but it is starting to show its age and cant handle much in 1440p let alone at 144fps... I don't know what to upgrade next cos GPUs are sold out and I cant decide what to get next...

Thank You

e.

Perhaps look into what the mobo supports for newer (likely only up to 7th gen Intel CPUs) processors. Unfortunately, used CPUs are also going for stupid money, like the GPUs, so that may, or may not, be a cost effective upgrade path 

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

8 minutes ago, MrConcrete04 said:

Thank You

e.

youll probably end up with a new motherboard gpu and cpu. i dont think a 7700 is worth it compared to a ryzen or even 400 series intel system

Keep your current PC and wait for prices to calm down and supplies to return - everything is currently massively overpriced. Try using software tricks to get your FPS up instead.

•  Run games at 80 or 70% resolution scaling, and use NVidia's sharpening in NVidia Control Panel - it helps games look like they're being rendered at a much higher resolution than they actually are. This will also have the biggest impact on your FPS

• Lower settings to medium. Games are going to look identical during gameplay anyway. 

• Overclock the 1050. This won't have a massive effect but it'll be something.

• Find out if you can roll back your BIOS to one of the glitched ones that let you BCLK overclock Skylake non-K chips. You could dramatically increase CPU performance, although I don't know if I would trust a super cheap B150 board with it.

9 minutes ago, MrConcrete04 said:

MSI B150M PRO-VDH

According to this link

https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B150M-PRO-VDH#support-cpu

You can support an i7-7700 (or the K version, if you feel like overclocking it) but if it's worth it price-wise in your country, is up to you

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

3 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Perhaps look into what the mobo supports for newer (likely only up to 7th gen Intel CPUs) processors. Unfortunately, used CPUs are also going for stupid money, like the GPUs, so that may, or may not, be a cost effective upgrade path 

Over here in germany CPU prices are very reasonable even new ones so I was thinking maybe a 3600X or a 10400F or 10600k with a decent motherboard so I can overclock?

1 minute ago, YT_DomDaBomb20 said:

youll probably end up with a new motherboard gpu and cpu. i dont think a 7700 is worth it compared to a ryzen or even 400 series intel system

That's what I thought, the little 1050Ti is gonna have to wait but CPU and Mobo prices here are normal... any suggestions? 6 or more cores 12or more threads with OC support?

Just now, MrConcrete04 said:

Over here in germany CPU prices are very reasonable even new ones so I was thinking maybe a 3600X or a 10400F or 10600k with a decent motherboard so I can overclock?

yes much better than a 7700 and i think you should go intel here just because im not sure ryzen will like your memory speed unless you 

a overclock

b buy new ram

Just now, YT_DomDaBomb20 said:

yes much better than a 7700 and i think you should go intel here just because im not sure ryzen will like your memory speed unless you 

a overclock

b buy new ram

what intel cpu would you suggest? ram isnt expensive but I think I can use the money for a faster cpu, also a mobo suggestion with OC support?

7 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

Keep your current PC and wait for prices to calm down and supplies to return - everything is currently massively overpriced. Try using software tricks to get your FPS up instead.

•  Run games at 80 or 70% resolution scaling, and use NVidia's sharpening in NVidia Control Panel - it helps games look like they're being rendered at a much higher resolution than they actually are. This will also have the biggest impact on your FPS

• Lower settings to medium. Games are going to look identical during gameplay anyway. 

• Overclock the 1050. This won't have a massive effect but it'll be something.

• Find out if you can roll back your BIOS to one of the glitched ones that let you BCLK overclock Skylake non-K chips. You could dramatically increase CPU performance, although I don't know if I would trust a super cheap B150 board with it.

Ive heard about this BCLK... what and how?

7 minutes ago, MrConcrete04 said:

Ive heard about this BCLK... what and how?

In hindsight, I would not recommend doing this. But here's an explanation for your curiosity. You will already get all the extra performance you can using the first 2 steps I told you, and an extra 10% from the graphics card overclocking.

A CPU's clock speed is determined by two factors - a base clock and a multiplier. The base clock x the multiplier = the overall clock speed. So there are two ways of increasing the clock speed - increasing the base clock, or increasing the multiplier.

For reasons too complex to get into, overclocking by increasing the multiplier is a lot easier and more stable. Unfortunately, intel charges a premium for multiplier overclocking, requiring you to buy a 'Z' series motherboard and a 'K' suffix CPU. So overclocking an intel chip is expensive. On the other hand, AMD allows overclocking on all of their motherboards and CPUs... At your own risk.

Intel has also always locked base clock overclocking (BCLK)... But in 2016, a glitch allowed all Skylake (6000) CPUs to be overclocked via BCLK. Intel got mad and they forced every motherboard manufacturer to release BIOS updates to stop the glitch, and even forced Windows to block the feature through Windows updates. However, some people - with very specific motherboards and rare or even customized BIOSes managed to get around it. 

8 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

In hindsight, I would not recommend doing this. But here's an explanation for your curiosity. You will already get all the extra performance you can using the first 2 steps I told you, and an extra 10% from the graphics card overclocking.

A CPU's clock speed is determined by two factors - a base clock and a multiplier. The base clock x the multiplier = the overall clock speed. So there are two ways of increasing the clock speed - increasing the base clock, or increasing the multiplier.

For reasons too complex to get into, overclocking by increasing the multiplier is a lot easier and more stable. Unfortunately, intel charges a premium for multiplier overclocking, requiring you to buy a 'Z' series motherboard and a 'K' suffix CPU. So overclocking an intel chip is expensive. On the other hand, AMD allows overclocking on all of their motherboards and CPUs... At your own risk.

Intel has also always locked base clock overclocking (BCLK)... But in 2016, a glitch allowed all Skylake (6000) CPUs to be overclocked via BCLK. Intel got mad and they forced every motherboard manufacturer to release BIOS updates to stop the glitch, and even forced Windows to block the feature through Windows updates. However, some people - with very specific motherboards and rare or even customized BIOSes managed to get around it. 

I'v already OCed the living crap out of my GPU cos curiosity...I will look into the BCLK thing, thanks

10 minutes ago, MrConcrete04 said:

I'v already OCed the living crap out of my GPU cos curiosity...I will look into the BCLK thing, thanks

Again I don't recommend it, I wasn't aware of the extent that the blocks were baked into Windows updates, and while using an old BIOS is perfectly safe, using old Windows isn't.

Just to be clear, are you ignoring my first two suggestions? Because they will possibly double your framerate without much visual degredation...

9 hours ago, MrConcrete04 said:

i suggest looking into 1366 xeon overclocks for more info. they had locked multipliers liked your cpu. so, they raised base clock. tutorials online and stuff would be a good move

9 hours ago, MrConcrete04 said:

what intel cpu would you suggest? ram isnt expensive but I think I can use the money for a faster cpu, also a mobo suggestion with OC support?

what would be the model budget

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-10600KF 4.1 GHz 6-Core Processor $213.30 @ Walmart
Motherboard ASRock Z490M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard $149.99 @ Newegg
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $363.29
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-02-15 19:42 EST-0500  

cheapest intel lga1200 overclockable combo

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor $199.99 @ Best Buy
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $119.99 @ Amazon
  Total $319.98
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-02-15 19:44 EST-0500  

lga 1151 300 series cheapest overclockable i5 or up combo

11 hours ago, YT_DomDaBomb20 said:
PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-10600KF 4.1 GHz 6-Core Processor $213.30 @ Walmart
Motherboard ASRock Z490M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard $149.99 @ Newegg
  Total $363.29
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-02-15 19:42 EST-0500  

cheapest intel lga1200 overclockable combo

the 10600k is the CPU that Im gonna go with but I am planning on OCing it to 5.1gHz because I have seen people do it and as far as I know that will require a good motherboard... is a 8 + 4 pin enough for approx 220W (I did some research). I would like a full size ATX so that the case doesnt look too empty. Any solid choices here? Keep in mind that the H510 has a USB C on the front and that requires a usb 3.2 gen 2 connector on the motherboard, built in wireless networking is only a bonus

6 hours ago, MrConcrete04 said:

is a 8 + 4 pin enough for approx 220W

If I’m not mistaken an 8 pin is over 220w

6 hours ago, MrConcrete04 said:

I would like a full size ATX

The atx size of the board I gave was around 10 dollars more expensive 

Just now, YT_DomDaBomb20 said:

The atx size of the board I gave was around 10 dollars more expensive 

Wait I’m dumb just remembered you lived in Germany let me check those prices

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-10600KF 4.1 GHz 6-Core Processor €201.40 @ Amazon Deutschland
Motherboard Asus PRIME Z490-P ATX LGA1200 Motherboard €132.02 @ Alza
  Total €333.42
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-02-16 19:49 CET+0100  

honestly, this is a nice combo

16 hours ago, YT_DomDaBomb20 said:
PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-10600KF 4.1 GHz 6-Core Processor €201.40 @ Amazon Deutschland
Motherboard Asus PRIME Z490-P ATX LGA1200 Motherboard €132.02 @ Alza
  Total €333.42
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-02-16 19:49 CET+0100  

honestly, this is a nice combo

do you think a nh-d15s is enough to run it at 5.1gHz?

apparently it consumes around 218 watts when doing so

• 1 month later...
On 2/17/2021 at 6:19 AM, MrConcrete04 said:

do you think a nh-d15s is enough to run it at 5.1gHz?

apparently it consumes around 218 watts when doing so

sorry i had taken a break from the site but if thats still your question then i think the cooler will be fine