I never worked with Comcast before.

m3lz

So I'm attempting to setup my Aunt's basic home network.  

She's currently with Comcast for cable/internet and she not really knowledgeable with technology.  Comcast advised my aunt to rent some beast of a modem/router that stands like a foot tall after she told them that she just was going to use her laptop/tablet and ereader.

Since I never worked with a cable company before, I was a little thrown off by the coaxial connectors.  I wouldn't be posting here if I was successful in setting up her network, so I have a few questions.

1.  First of all, is Comcast taking advantage of my aunt my making her rent their (overkill) modem?  I advised she buy an aftermarket cable modem since she showed me she had already had a router.  Was that the right choice?

2.  I'm quite sure I connected everything properly.  The wall outlet with the coaxial connector was giving the signal to her tv, so I used to splitter provided for the cable and internet, that was unsuccessful. Tried without the splitter, that was unsuccessful.  That coaxial cables were good before and after.  Those familiar with Comcast, the step I'm stuck at is the 'online' light coming on. 

3.  Since Comcast is renting their modem to her, I can only assume that the modem they gave her is used and doesn't work properly, right?

Comcast support wasn't much help and ended with the solution that the modem might be faulty.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

I'm not terribly familiar with how Comcast does things, but I have some experience with Charter's cable services.

First off is it a Router/Modem combo, or just a modem? (Is there just the power, Co-ax cable, and an ethernet out jack?)

I'm sure that Comcast does at least SOME testing on their rented modems to make sure they still work to an appropriate standard, otherwise they bill you at your contract end if it doesn't. IT's still certainly possible you have a bad modem.

I'm not terribly familiar with how Comcast does things, but I have some experience with Charter's cable services.

First off is it a Router/Modem combo, or just a modem? (Is there just the power, Co-ax cable, and an ethernet out jack?)

I'm sure that Comcast does at least SOME testing on their rented modems to make sure they still work to an appropriate standard, otherwise they bill you at your contract end if it doesn't. IT's still certainly possible you have a bad modem.

Yes, it is a router/modem.  Not only does it have those connectors, there are four ethernet ports, two phone in, and one usb.

Well, it doesn't seem like it since I was the one who basically unboxed the package when it came and the thing isn't working.

1. Depending on what speed of internet your Aunt is paying for, they probably gave her an overkill modem. Most of the modems from Motorola and others have a speed rating right on the box or in the description.

For Example: The Motorola SURFboard SB5101U Is rated for 38 Mbps Down/30Mbps Up, perfect for the average connection.

2. Splitters can be quite touchy. I have one setup, and still have no idea how I got it to work. I would try to check to make sure there aren't any other splitters ahead of yours in the line.

3. Not sure how the do their modems, does it work without the splitter?

Depending on what she is paying for and how much that router/modem is, I would just go with the modem mentioned above. Or even a step up from that if her internet is faster than 38/30.

PC Noise Hater Level = Linus

Would probably help if you can give the model of the modem/router they're trying to rent out to her.

1. Depending on what speed of internet your Aunt is paying for, they probably gave her an overkill modem. Most of the modems from Motorola and others have a speed rating right on the box or in the description.

For Example: The Motorola SURFboard SB5101U Is rated for 38 Mbps Down/30Mbps Up, perfect for the average connection.

2. Splitters can be quite touchy. I have one setup, and still have no idea how I got it to work. I would try to check to make sure there aren't any other splitters ahead of yours in the line.

3. Not sure how the do their modems, does it work without the splitter?

Depending on what she is paying for and how much that router/modem is, I would just go with the modem mentioned above. Or even a step up from that if her internet is faster than 38/30.

That modem would work nicely, I'm not sure what she is paying for or her speeds.

It's a coaxial wall outlet, I wouldn't know if there were splitter ahead. 

Tried without the splitter, plugging directly into the wall didn't work as well.

Would probably help if you can give the model of the modem/router they're trying to rent out to her.

Technicolor Wireless Cable Gateway TC8305C

Although I don't have much experience with cable companies, I'm convinced that the product above is faulty in someway.

i use TWC and they gave me a moddem router so what i did was the line that comes into the house i put a splitter on and conected one cable to the router and the other to the tv. then plug in power, when it boots up connect the Ethernet port to ur pc and set it up for wifi like any other router and you should be set. they should have given her a paper with the website and password for everything. should tell you how to set up the software and hardware as well.

Game On :)

Technicolor Wireless Cable Gateway TC8305C

Although I don't have much experience with cable companies, I'm convinced that the product above is faulty in someway.

A quick google search shows that a lot of people have issues with that particular modem.

i use TWC and they gave me a moddem router so what i did was the line that comes into the house i put a splitter on and conected one cable to the router and the other to the tv. then plug in power, when it boots up connect the Ethernet port to ur pc and set it up for wifi like any other router and you should be set. they should have given her a paper with the website and password for everything. should tell you how to set up the software and hardware as well.

I'm well aware of what you're saying but my problem is happening because the modem isn't receiving the signal from the coaxial connection.

A quick google search shows that a lot of people have issues with that particular modem.

Yeah, I gonna go with that. I'm done thinking about it for the night. Thanks!

My cable co u could just buy your own modem and we install it. If its arris modem they are ok we only use arris now. Altho i hope we go back to motorola as i like them more