Random Internet Lag Spikes

ethandxy

A few days ago, I was getting some lag spikes while playing video games. I thought it would stop soon, as normally when this happens, it doesn't last very long. But no. Days later, I'm still lagging In every game I play, and I don't know why. Even when I'm the only device connected to the internet, it still happens. Can somebody please help? (I have attached a screenshot my internet speed test results)

Screenshot 2021-02-13 125706.png

Lag can be caused by a lot of things.

Your computer? Your router? ISP? Remote server? Any device along the path? Heck, even a microwave oven can sometimes interfere with wifi signals.

In order to troubleshoot it, I'd suggest you use a few tools:

- ping

- traceroute

- speedtest (like what you've got)

Do some baseline tests. If you know where your game is connecting, ping their server at the command prompt to find out your ping time. Netstat can help show you where it's connecting if you're not sure.

Traceroute to the server. When it's slow, do the same thing, ping and traceroute. Compare against your baseline. If you've got another computer, do it from that machine too. That should help point to where the problem could be. Also, when it's slow, is it doing something stupid like Windows updates? Check your resource monitor in Windows, look at the amount of network traffic.

Ping your router, and ping it when things are slow. Compare the stats.

If you can wire your computer directly to your router, see if that helps. That would eliminate any interference.

Look at your router, what's the CPU utilization? Time to reboot the router?

Check if your neighbors are on the same wifi channel as you, some routers let you pick the channel, some force it to auto. Using wifi analyzer on your phone, you'll see what channels are being used around.