Final Cut Pro random slowdown

So I picked an m1 air base model up for video editing (specifically cause final cut is so much better than premiere) 2 months ago now and have had consistently amazing final cut performance.

Sometimes for up to 8 hours straight, with barely any thermal throttling

This is my first ever mac and first Apple product since 2014 so yeah, I don't know much

But out of nowhere I had a kernel panic and then when I relaunched final cut it was running extremely sluggishly.

The ONLY thing that changed was a kernel panic happened

For the rest of that editing session and the next the same same sluggish performance. Random beachball after cutting a clip or any other basic edit and while playback is fine the playhead kinda jumps across the timeline as it's playing.

Is it possible the kernel panic affected the final cut install? Or the macos install? As I mentioned, this is my first mac ever and I don't know much so if the answer is obvious, sorry

Other essential info:

I edit off the internal 256gb ssd,

(I'm ordering a 2tb t7 soon since I run out of space all the time) and have some assets (sound fx) on a 2tb usb 3 Toshiba hdd. But that's not the issue cause I've done this for 2 months without issue

I have bg rendering OFF because storage and there normally isn't a need for it (there is already normally smooth playback)

Running macos 11.1 cause 25mbs download speed here in Australia And the Wi-Fi issues of m1 mean I can get a max of 3mbs down when on Wi-Fi (that fluctuates)

Any other questions, just ask

When it's not having problems (in my 2 months, I've had way more issues on mac than windows) it flies through complex 4k timelines and even basic 6k. And for $1600 AUD I'm not complaining considering the other option (Prior to m1 I mean) is a PC for $200 AU more and you miss out on final cut which is better for a myriad of reasons.

Edited by ryan_lennoxbradley
comedy I guess

I see a lot of people put their computer here

Mine is an m1 macbook air xD

base model

planning to get an m1x mac mini when it exists for heavier video editing

Switched to mac from windows cause most of what I do is either internet browsing, photo editing or video editing and wanted Final Cut cause that magnetic timeline is NOT the same as ripple editing in resolve/premiere/vegas pro (a sad excuse of a NLE btw) and is much faster for MY workflow