Change the gpu in mining?

I currently have only one rtx 3080 and use it mainly for gaming. However, sometimes I leave it mining overnight while I'm sleeping (I decrease the power limit to 65% though, which is 220W and gpu never goes above 50C so I guess it's safe). My motherboard is tuf gaming z490 plus and has one more pcie x16 slot that's empty right now. If I got another rtx 3080 in there, would I be able to choose which gpu the mining runs on? Then I'd be able to keep mining even when I'm gaming, run games on primary gpu, run mining on the second one. And when I go to sleep I'd leave both gpus mining. I mine using T-Rex btw.

29 minutes ago, Apollo190 said:

If I got another rtx 3080 in there, would I be able to choose which gpu the mining runs on?

Usually yes, dependent on which miner you use.

Be wary of PCIe lane distribution, check your mobo manual to make sure the second x16 slot doesn't steal lanes from the first or it may impact your fps in games.

9 minutes ago, Sp4gh3tti said:

Usually yes, dependent on which miner you use.

Be wary of PCIe lane distribution, check your mobo manual to make sure the second x16 slot doesn't steal lanes from the first or it may impact your fps in games.

Alrighty then, thank you!

4 minutes ago, Apollo190 said:

Alrighty then, thank you!

No problem! By the way, with phoenix you can also control the core utilization (maybe on a per-card basis too?) which I found to also help with maintaining comfy overnight temps, my 2060s only works at 97% on the core 😁

If the miner used gives you proper control you can do what ever you want. I’d just make sure the psu is capable of running the two cards with one at reduced power, one card at full and the cpu being utilized. As that’s how it would be while gaming and mining simultaneously. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz