FreeBsd Desktop?

Considering installing it on my thinkpad for a change of pace. Do they have linux ports and stuff? 

8 hours ago, mamamia88 said:

Considering installing it on my thinkpad for a change of pace. Do they have linux ports and stuff? 

Some Linux desktop environments are available for Linux but you have to install them.

But Ghost BSD and Nomad BSD come with them preinstalled. I‘ve only tried to install nomad BSD and it was super easy with XFCE and honestly even easier to install than some Linux Distros.

don‘t know how the experience is with ghost bsd

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

On 2/11/2021 at 4:20 PM, Drama Lama said:

Some Linux desktop environments are available for Linux but you have to install them.

But Ghost BSD and Nomad BSD come with them preinstalled. I‘ve only tried to install nomad BSD and it was super easy with XFCE and honestly even easier to install than some Linux Distros.

don‘t know how the experience is with ghost bsd

Yeah I actually tried it on my laptop. Took about maybe 10 minutes to get a working desktop using a very simple tutorial. Ended up giving up when screen resolution was way off because didn't feel like spending too much time on it though all i really needed to do was figure out how to use xrandr which I used years ago. 

Good luck getting wifi and other such stuff working. 

Honestly all you'll likely find is a wayyy more difficult and less-compatible Linux. 

Meh, freebsd is best used as a server os not so much desktop os. It's a lot more difficult to use and manage as a desktop, not as many people out there to help who are fluent with it compared to Linux. But having said that, if you do use it you'll have a pretty safe and secure desktop.