Virtualization threadripper and multi gpu for graphic design and livestream jobs

Budget (including currency): what I have plus 2/3/4... even 5k it it would make sense

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for:

1st main system for livestream production (multiple obs instances, simultaneously recording and streaming different instances; so multiple encodes at the same time); video editing and 3D software like blender, Houdini, Touchportal...

- 2nd system will be for streaming to “twitch”. So, 2nd system will only receive an NDI source from 1st main system and encode it. Just that. Just as a safety measure.

- 3rd system is for a professional graphical designer, mostly Illustrator, InDesign, and website creation on online platforms.

- *4th system??? Is it possível to have one “setup” that would boot the full system, full cpu, every gpu used (all other systems would be unaccessible while this setup is online)?

- **5th system??? I think I should use vDGA for assigning each gpu to each system, but is it possible to also use vSGA? So, system 1/2/3 would be using vDGA, but then I would have another GPU that was being shared for system 5 6 and 7 using vSGA, is it possible? Makes sense?

Current  Setup

CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960x 24core Turbo 4,5GHz

Motherboard: Extended-ATX MSI Creator TRX 40

Ram: 4x16 DDR4 3200 MHz CL14 G.Skill Ripjaws V

GPU: RTX 2060 Super

Why:

My girlfriend (graphic designer) wants a new computer (she uses one MacBook with 8gb of ram and a not so recent cpu). She asked me if the new MacBook Pro, retailing at 6k wouldn’t me the best solution.

After I died and comeback..

I thought “Well, Linus is using a virtualization solution in his house for wife computer and more, and on office for full editing team.... so, virtualization must be a good option”

I think I have a good enough cpu and motherboard for this project, I would essentially need more ram and individually assign gpus. Right?

Is this a good idea? Got some

hints?

I was looking into Titan GPU... maybe?

thanks in advance 

You could probably use a gpu upgrade to a 30 series card but if she could use an old computer like that to do the job I doubt anything is demanding enough to need a titan.

Her computer is not old, it’s just a MacBook (not Pro model) from 2017/1018.... so, it’s like a dual core i7 with onboard graphic card and 8gb of ram...

She just can’t handle. I wouldn’t be able to work on that computer, is extremely slow.

STILL:

This idea is to:

1- solve my girlfriend problem (new beefed up machine)

2- split my current machine in more than one system... when I bought threadripper I was  already thinking in having at least 2 systems running, one would be using OBS Studio, 3D programs and everything I need, other system would be just a single, dual or quad core that would just receive NDI and stream it. So if other/main computer needs reboot, I would not stop streaming. 
3- making my beast machine even more beefier, if it would be possible to also, have one system that would boot using every component (I am learning machine learning, AI and other resource intensive software

Thanks

Not a good idea IMO. Any hardware fault stops all work. Given the outlined tasking there will eventually be serious resource contention.

At least set the girlfriend up with a dedicated machine. 

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Could you explain further the “any hardware fault stops all work”?

I was only thinking that 40 or 50% of my cpu is more processing power than a 10900k, and costs me nothing, so I would only need ram and gpu... way cheaper. And on top of that I still haven’t understood if then I could boot one system using every hardware (all ram, gpu SLI..) or not..

4 hours ago, Hferreirasousa said:

Could you explain further the “any hardware fault stops all work”?

If hardware fails and the system halts, nothing can run until the failure is diagnosed and corrected.

4 hours ago, Hferreirasousa said:

And on top of that I still haven’t understood if then I could boot one system using every hardware (all ram, gpu SLI..) or not..

This depends on the type of hypervisor being run and how the various vm are configured.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.