Win7 dualboot - 3070 driver install causes 'Starting Windows' crash

Specs

Asus TUF B550M-plus Wifi (BIOS 1602)

Amd 5600x 

Nvidia 3070

Corsair TX650M

Windows 10 Home - 64bit / Windows 7 Premium - 64-bit  (Dualboot)

Problem

When starting Windows 7, computer hangs at 'Starting Windows' (just before the balls come together to make the windows logo) and needs hard reboot. Happens every time. Unable to access OS

Cause

(Seems to be) Installing Nvidia 3070 drivers (designed for Win7-64bit) in Windows 7.  Problem occured directly after installing drivers and rebooting.

Other

• Windows 10 all working perfectly - only problems are with Win7
  • Thought problem might be because I haven't installed any chipset drivers for my mboard, but afaik there are no chipset drivers for Win7 for this board. Tried installing the Win10 LAN drivers (as no internet even through Ethernet) and somehow corrupted the winload.efi..?  Had to do an entire reinstall of Win7 to fix
  • Had to sideload USB drivers to get Win7 installation. Used a program called 7UPv57 from this link
  • SecureBoot is disabled. Was able to boot into Windows 7 before installing the driver.

Why?

• Trying to run a 2005 game that uses Safedisk DRM. Security update means it doesn't work on Win10.
  • No noCD patch that works, so can't bypass DRM that way.
  • Tried disabling Safedsc.sys driver/bypass digital signing etc. in Win10.  No luck.
  • Tried VM.  5600x isn't an APU, using an mATX board so no 2nd PCI_E, so no way to have GPU passthrough

Solution

Copious amounts of alcohol

Failing that - get Windows 7 to load with GPU drivers installed/an alternate way of running a game with Safedisk DRM.

since microsoft ended support for windows 7, I would doubt newer graphics card like the 3070 would work on windows 7 tbh...

Make sure to quote me if you want me to respond

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

Just now, GorujoCY said:

since microsoft ended support for windows 7, I would doubt newer graphics card like the 3070 would work on windows 7 tbh...

My thought too.

I'm pretty sure Windows 7 has no knowledge of ray-tracing at all, let alone 30-series NVIDIA.

elephants

There is an official driver for Windows 7 64-bit on the Nvidia driver page download, which is what I used. Surely if it's an official driver it should work no?