What GPU should I be looking at for 1440p165?

DeuteriumTSM

Once the current perfect storm of Covid, silicon shortages and Buttcoin miners hoarding cards comes to an end I'm looking at upgrading my GPU. I currently have a 2070 non-Super, which is fine for 1440p60 for the most part, but I kinda want to push the boundaries a bit given that my monitor goes all the way up to 165hz. What would be a decent card for gaming at 1440p165 to pair with a Ryzen 7 3700X? I have my eye on either a 3080 or a 6800XT right now, leaning towards the latter 'cause I don't care that much for fancy features and AI wizardry.

rtx 3070 at least.

hi, im renata bliss and am ur freestyle dance teacher

2 minutes ago, DeuteriumTSM said:

Once the current perfect storm of Covid, silicon shortages and Buttcoin miners hoarding cards comes to an end I'm looking at upgrading my GPU. I currently have a 2070 non-Super, which is fine for 1440p60 for the most part, but I kinda want to push the boundaries a bit given that my monitor goes all the way up to 165hz. What would be a decent card for gaming at 1440p165 to pair with a Ryzen 7 3700X? I have my eye on either a 3080 or a 6800XT right now, leaning towards the latter 'cause I don't care that much for fancy features and AI wizardry.

A 3070 or even 3080 (pick EVGA lol), including the team red's 6800XT, will do great since it's within the 'sweet spot' for the 1440p experience.  

CGHA | Astrophysicist & Meterologist-in-Training 

COSMOS, WEATHER, AND YOU 🌌

BUILD: 6C12T R5 5600x | Colorful iGame RTX 3070 Vulcan OC-V | Asus TUF B550M Plus | 2x8 Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600CL16 | 2x 500 GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus & 1 TB WD Blue | Seasonic Prime Gold 1300W | Noctua NH-D15, 4x Deepcool RF140 and 5x RF 120 Fans

Maybe the AI wizardy right now might not be widespread, but in the future a 3080 could last longer in the future with DLSS enabled to keep up with the high framerates. One of the main selling points of dlss is rendering the game at lower resolution and upscaling it. For now AMD's option isn't there, it might come in the future so who knows.

Main Rig : 5600X, NH-U14s, MSI B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB DDR4 3200, MSI RTX 3070

Server : i7-7700k, Hyper 212 RGB, ASUS Prime z270, 16GB DDR4 2133, MSI GTX 1070

Just now, Thomas CG said:

Maybe the AI wizardy right now might not be widespread, but in the future a 3080 could last longer in the future with DLSS enabled to keep up with the high framerates. One of the main selling points of dlss is rendering the game at lower resolution and upscaling it. For now AMD's option isn't there, it might come in the future so who knows.

I must agree

hi, im renata bliss and am ur freestyle dance teacher

2 minutes ago, Thomas CG said:

Yep, exactly. 

CGHA | Astrophysicist & Meterologist-in-Training 

COSMOS, WEATHER, AND YOU 🌌

BUILD: 6C12T R5 5600x | Colorful iGame RTX 3070 Vulcan OC-V | Asus TUF B550M Plus | 2x8 Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600CL16 | 2x 500 GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus & 1 TB WD Blue | Seasonic Prime Gold 1300W | Noctua NH-D15, 4x Deepcool RF140 and 5x RF 120 Fans

SO I should probably go for a 3070... though I'm hearing rumours that there may be a 6700XT on the horizon. Maybe I should wait for that and see?