Unable to access a file

Logi Bear

Hello I've recently reinstalled windows (I have it on an SSD and my games on a HDD) and I had a few Microsoft games and xbox games before I did this but since I've reinstalled windows it won't allow me to play or download any of my games from the xbox app well they don't show up when I access the xbox app and when I go to the game on the store it says install which it pops up with a page and asks me to allocate a drive to download the game onto but when I try it says sorry you done have access to this file pls try again in a bit. 

How can I fix this? 

Installing games in Windows isn't as simple has having the files on a drive. You'll probably need to wipe the drive (or delete the games) and re-download for it to work.

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

2 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

Installing games in Windows isn't as simple has having the files on a drive. You'll probably need to wipe the drive (or delete the games) and re-download for it to work.

it won't allow me to access the file where the games are to delete them. I've tried deleting the whole file with the xbox games on it and it deleted something but then it said unable to delete the file because I don't have access, also I have all of my steam games on that HDD so I don't really wanna format the HDD. 

2 minutes ago, Logi Bear said:

it won't allow me to access the file where the games are to delete them. I've tried deleting the whole file with the xbox games on it and it deleted something but then it said unable to delete the file because I don't have access, also I have all of my steam games on that HDD so I don't really wanna format the HDD. 

You'll need to take ownership of them to delete them.

Right click the folder you want to delete > properties > Security > Advanced > Click change, next to owner at the top > Search for your username > Click OK on all the windows.

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Right click the folder you want to delete > properties > Security > Advanced > Click change, next to owner at the top > Search for your username > Click OK on all the windows.

I'll give it a try when I'm on the pc, thank you 

13 minutes ago, Logi Bear said:

I'll give it a try when I'm on the pc, thank you

16 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Hi I got out of bed to give it a try and it gave me access to the files and stuff and I managed to delete them but it won't let me download any xbox games and come sup with this 

IMG_20210129_022124.jpg

20 minutes ago, Logi Bear said:

Hi I got out of bed to give it a try and it gave me access to the files and stuff and I managed to delete them but it won't let me download any xbox games and come sup with this 

IMG_20210129_022124.jpg

That will be a permissions issue as well most likely. 

Are you trying to set it to install on D:? 

If so, you might find the WindowsApps folder already exists, in which case you would need to take ownership and either delete it or rename it. (or you could try removing trusted installer, closing the properties, reopening and then giving trusted installer full control.

If you're trying to put it on the C drive, check the security permissions on C:\Program Files. TrustedInstaller should be the owner and have full control