Build Evolution - Davinci Resolve 6k BRAW

Dustyee

Budget (including currency): 700-1000 euros

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Davinci Resolve 17, Premiere Pro

Other details: 1 Widescreen Monitor - 3840x1600

Hi !

I recently started to edit 6k RAW footage (From the BMPCC 6K) and even if the playback was running smoothly, I realized when using fusion (only texts animations...) that I was asking too much to my pc.

Here is my actual build :

Motherboard : MSI X470 Gaming Plus

CPU : Ryzen 7 2700X (Cooler : Noctua NH D15)

GPU : MSI GTX 1080 Armor OC

RAM : Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8) 3000Mhz CL15

SSD : Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB NVME

HDD : WD 1TB + TOSHIBA 2TB (Both 7200)

PSU : Seasonic Prime Ultra 750W Platinum

As I am editing several types of projects (Short/feature length, fiction, documentary, video-clips...) I searched for "advised builds" related to my needs and I ended up choosing to change :

-Both of my HDDs for 1 SSD of 4TB (Samsung 870 EVO 4TB)

-My 16GB 3000Mhz RAM for 64GB in 4x16GB

And so I have to main questions :

- On the one hand, i chose this RAM reference : F4-3466C16Q-64GTZKK (G.Skill 3466Mhz CL16 - Hynix C-Die), it was impossible for me to boot above 3066Mhz, and I did not detect any improvement in the use of Resolve (the graphic card being probably involved?).

So, would it make more sense to get a new motherboard with 2x32 sticks to take advantage of the dual channel?

Or simply to turn to 32Gb in 2x16 (CL14 if it can bring a performance gain) if i can't notice the gap between 32GB and 64GB ? (Knowing that I don't use a lot of softwares in multitasking, Photoshop and possibly Premiere Pro sometimes)

My goal being to take futureproof ram that would still perform well with a ryzen 7 5800x.

- On the other hand, do you think that other components should be changed in priority before these?

A big thank in advance for your help !

(Sorry for my bad English, I am French)

4 sticks should still give you dual channel..

Before getting anything just check the usage of parts. Gpu-z for the gpu and task manager is good enough for the cpu and see what is maxing out when playback becomes rough. That way you know which part is the problem instead of just guessing.

24 minutes ago, jaslion said:

4 sticks should still give you dual channel..

Before getting anything just check the usage of parts. Gpu-z for the gpu and task manager is good enough for the cpu and see what is maxing out when playback becomes rough. That way you know which part is the problem instead of just guessing.

Hello and thank you for your quick answer !

So i used hwinfo and gpu z and saw that the cpu was loaded around 30% and the gpu around 60-70%, but when the playback become laggy, the gpu usage goes to 80-90 and drops to 20 or even 9% which seems really odd (or maybe not aha).