Help with FPS

bungusboy81

I've recently bought a new 120hz 1080p monitor, but in most of the games I play, my FPS tends to be fairly low because I have a very old and fairly low end computer. I was honestly surprised considering the only games that I play are not intensive in graphics at all, like minecraft, and starbound, and geometry dash, and I don't have any intentions to play any games that require a lot of GPU power (nothing triple-a.) I was wanting to know if there was anything that I could do to increase my gaming performance, or any new hardware I could buy at under 200 USD or slightly above that.

My specs are currently:

GPU: Intel HD 4400

CPU: Intel i3 4170

PSU: 300w

Motherboard: 088DT1

I've had my computer for about 4 years and I don't believe I've ever opened it up before.

My case is a dell inspiron 3847, and I've never built any computers or bought any computer hardware before, I'm actually very new to computers in general so I'm not entirely sure what I need to specify, so tell me if you need any other info about my computer. Thank you in advance!

1 minute ago, bungusboy81 said:

I've recently bought a new 120hz 1080p monitor, but in most of the games I play, my FPS tends to be fairly low because I have a very old and fairly low end computer. I was honestly surprised considering the only games that I play are not intensive in graphics at all, like minecraft, and starbound, and geometry dash, and I don't have any intentions to play any games that require a lot of GPU power (nothing triple-a.) I was wanting to know if there was anything that I could do to increase my gaming performance, or any new hardware I could buy at under 200 USD or slightly above that.

My specs are currently:

I've had my computer for about 4 years and I don't believe I've ever opened it up before.

My case is a dell inspiron 3847, and I've never built any computers or bought any computer hardware before, I'm actually very new to computers in general so I'm not entirely sure what I need to specify, so tell me if you need any other info about my computer. Thank you in advance!

you could probably put a used 4770 in there, and then put a used gtx 1050 in there. I have 2000 hours in GD and that should run it at a constant 120FPS (when your not playing intense levels)

Also how much RAM do you have?

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

12 minutes ago, bungusboy81 said:

My specs are currently:

SSD + Nvidia 1060 + 16gb Ram

17 minutes ago, Downkey said:

you could probably put a used 4770 in there, and then put a used gtx 1050 in there. I have 2000 hours in GD and that should run it at a constant 120FPS (when your not playing intense levels)

Also how much RAM do you have?

I was planning on buying a 1050ti, since there's one that's 159 and pretty good, and I have 8GB of ram.

Just now, bungusboy81 said:

I was planning on buying a 1050ti, since there's one that's 159 and pretty good, and I have 8GB of ram.

159 for a 1050ti is not good. that is very overpriced! (You can find used ones for under 100)

is the RAM in dual channel?

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

1 minute ago, Downkey said:

159 for a 1050ti is not good. that is very overpriced! (You can find used ones for under 100)

I'm not entirely sure about the ram, and where should I buy the 1050ti?

24 minutes ago, Downkey said:

How can I find out about my ram?

31 minutes ago, bungusboy81 said:

I'm not entirely sure about the ram, and where should I buy the 1050ti?

Well in the inside of the PC it will show, if you have one ram stick, it’s in single channel. If you have 2 it’s in dual channel. It’s a bit more complicated than that but I’m assuming you have two dimm slots.

And for the GPU a eBay or Craigslist would be good.

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

2 minutes ago, Downkey said:

Well in the inside of the PC it will show, if you have one ram stick, it’s in single channel. If you have 2 it’s in dual channel. It’s a bit more complicated than that but I’m assuming you have two dimm slots.

And for the GPU a eBay or Craigslist would be good.

Alright, thank you. I'll check the RAM and get back to you.

1 minute ago, bungusboy81 said:

Alright, thank you. I'll check the RAM and get back to you.

Probably should have mentioned, in task manager it will say how many slots are used if you check the ram section. Also a program like Hw info or specs will also tell you if it’s in dual channel

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

10 minutes ago, Downkey said:

Probably should have mentioned, in task manager it will say how many slots are used if you check the ram section. Also a program like Hw info or specs will also tell you if it’s in dual channel

I checked, and I do have dual channel and it's DDR3.

9 minutes ago, bungusboy81 said:

I checked, and I do have dual channel and it's DDR3.

Ok 8GB isn’t ideal but it’s dual channel and your playing very light games so it should be fine. 
So just try to get a 4770 and a 1050ti used. If you find good deals then you can probably get those for $200 total if you find good deals

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

4 minutes ago, Downkey said:

Ok 8GB isn’t ideal but it’s dual channel and your playing very light games so it should be fine. 
So just try to get a 4770 and a 1050ti used. If you find good deals then you can probably get those for $200 total if you find good deals

Thank you! Is there anything else I should know?

5 minutes ago, bungusboy81 said:

Thank you! Is there anything else I should know?

Nothing really. When buying on eBay try to look for deals where they have taken an actual picture of the product, not just some stock photo. Also if your experiencing crashes and shut downs once everything is installed you may need a new PSU.

geometry is hard
b550 > x570