Fanboy Labeling

Geekazoid

So guys, as you may guess by the title, I want to talk about the commonly used derogatory term "fanboy" and ask why does it get used so much. I see many members on here use this demeaning term and it makes me just wonder why. Why does it matter if someone is overly enthusiastic about something.

I see a lot of times that members on here call another member a fanboy just because this other member is recommending an Intel plus NVIDIA build. But what that person, who is calling the other member a fanboy, fails to realise is that they too could equality be labeled as a fanboy because of the fact that they're calling the Intel + NVIDIA recommender a fanboy for not recommending a complete AMD solution and so they're kind of being hypocritical because they're basically saying at the same time that they would only recommend a complete AMD build and saying that Intel and NVIDIA are rubbish.

Intel, AMD and NVIDIA are all great company's that deliver products for different user types. I really do believe that no company here is better than the other and it just creates quite ridiculous and immature arguments back and forth.

I just believe that this term should have never have been created because it's quite frequently used to put someone down and create such tension that shouldn't have really started in the first place.

Now I'm betting that some would label me a "fanboy" just purely based on my profile picture and that paragraph above but this is simply not the case. Why can't everyone discuss their preference for one particular company or product in a more civilised manner instead of in such a demeaning way. I just don't feel that it's needed. It's just like a kid who gets singled out and teased just because he's different and this kind of behavior is definitely not needed.

So my conclusion would be to request that everyone really think about the words you use and treat others how you would want to be treated. If you wouldn't liked to be labeled as a "fanboy" then don't do it to others. The only time that using such a term would be considered fine would be if it was used in a joking manner but the person who you are calling this to jokingly would have to realise that you were indeed joking. So please guys, really think about your words and don't insult anyone just because you think what they have suggested is from a bias point of view. What you would be best to do is ask this person why they are recommending a certain product over another one (even if the other is much better).

I would like to hear your thoughts on this and whether or not you agree with my dislike of this term.

Cheers,

Geekazoid

PLEASE NOTE: I'm not the best writer so there may be things that don't make sense or that I've repeated and that may even sound as though I'm being insulting myself. So please let me know of any part that could be worded better.

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Sometimes the "recommendation" goes to far, to the point of downright attacking the opposing company.

When it gets to be like that, it's extremely annoying.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

There are some people that won't accept other company even when it is the better choice and say stupid things to back their arguments...

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

Sometimes the "recommendation" goes to far, to the point of downright attacking the opposing company.

When it gets to be like that, it's extremely annoying.

There are some people that won't accept other company even when it is the better choice and say stupid things to back their arguments...

Okay, but I think when all someone does is recommend a complete AMD solution or an Intel + NVIDIA solution for a particular build they should not be labelled as a "fanboy".

When i think of fanboys i like of console wars. My second thought is cars. When i think of fanboys what dosent come to mind is amd,intel,nividia,etc. its all a preference to me 

Okay, but I think when all someone does is recommend a complete AMD solution or an Intel + NVIDIA solution for a particular build they should not be labelled as a "fanboy".

Someone was saying that a 290x could not play at 1440p because it does not have G-sync, even after we explained it was built for 4k, he was saying nvidia and intel are the best builds and other bs like that if that doesn't say fanboy I don't know what will...

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Someone was saying that a 290x could not play at 1440p because it does not have G-sync, even after we explained it was built for 4k, he was saying nvidia and intel are the best builds and other bs like that if that doesn't say fanboy I don't know what will...

Well, I think that there are better ways of handling such a situation than saying "fanboy alert* or "looks like we have another fanboy" or any other similar ones. It just is not needed and kind of makes the person saying these come across as quite immature IMHO.

Well, I think that there are better ways of handling such a situation than saying "fanboy alert* or "looks like we have another fanboy" or any other similar ones. It just is not needed and kind of makes the person saying these come across as quite immature IMHO.

Well what'd you expect from the age of the members? lol

EDIT: some are still getting their "grip" on maturity.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

You have been called a fanboy haven't you? otherwise why would you care? 

You have been called a fanboy haven't you? otherwise why would you care?

Yes I have and found it not only demeaning but very immature. Is this label really necessary?

How many members have you called a fanboy and have you been called a fanboy yourself in a derogatory way?

Yes I have and found it not only demeaning but very immature. Is this label really necessary?

How many members have you called a fanboy and have you been called a fanboy yourself in a derogatory way?

I have called a few a fanboy as they had no logic or proper reasoning other than facts that were wrong or cause they believe that certain company's are better then others but with no valid reasoning.

No I have not lol